Join now - be part of our community!

Screen died on Vaio PCG-Z1SP

larryp
Visitor

Screen died on Vaio PCG-Z1SP

A few days ago, my laptop screen went almost black, with just a faint image of the desktop visible. I rebooted several times and the screen flickers and then goes almost black again. One time the screen came on as normal and then went away again. I don't think it's a driver problem, but could it be? Could it be something loose internally? I haven't dropped the machine or anything, but it is a laptop and mobile by definition and it gets jostled a lot.

It's no longer under warranty and If it's worth taking apart to check something, what should I check?

Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
William
Visitor

I would suspect either the cable that goes from the keyboard area to the LCD (connections or damaged cable from opening/closing lid) or the backlight itself behind the LCD.

toldcodger
Visitor

I had a similar problem on my old HP laptop. The first time it happened the screen backlight had been turned off. I blamed the Gremlins for that one. I didn't touch it and the wife never went beyond the desktop icons so I'm sure it wasn't her.

Over a few years the connections in the hinge must have worn and I found moving the lid back and forth brought it back to life.

I have only had this Vaio for a week so I can't tell you where or even if there is a backlight setting. I know it wasn't in an easy place to find on the HP.

Good luck.

Regards

Dave

larryp
Visitor

Thanks, all, for your replies! That gives me a bit to go on and I'll look a bit harder around the hinges, etc. and other settings.

Larry