Join now - be part of our community!

Screensaver not working on PCG-GRZ615M

profile.country.en_GB.title
1234567ty
Visitor

Screensaver not working on PCG-GRZ615M

HI everyone,

I have a PCG-GRZ615M, and the screensaver does not initilize. The screen will flash three times, and then go back onto the open executible. Any ideas as to what is wrong??!

Harry

54 REPLIES 54
kee-lo_

Good luck Harry

1234567ty
Visitor

Guys, do you think that the NAV problem might be causing the screensaver to not work, and what else could i try to get the saver to work?

Harry

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

...do you think that the NAV problem might be causing the screensaver to not work

I don¿t think so. I am scratching the bottom of the barrel here but which version of DirectX do you have installed? If it is lower than 9.0c you need to upgrade.
Try the diagnostics - Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > System Information > Tools > DirectX diagnostic tool.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Yeah DirectX can stop screensavers working.

1234567ty
Visitor

Yeah, guys, i have a prob with msinfo, and i have to use belarc as recommended by keelo in 2004. How do i get to the tool, and what is the filename of the tool?

Harry

kee-lo_

Harry

DXDIAG.exe

Yeah I remember you having that problem....

1234567ty
Visitor

Thank you keelo, but it did not work. I am now at the stage where i might bash my comp with a hammer! Any other ideas?

Harry

1234567ty
Visitor

Here is a list of all the things that are currently wrong with my vaio!

from start to shutdown:

The stardust screen saver control 2003 will not load, and comes up with an error reporting box. I cant send error reports cos my school blocks the ports which they go out on.

The picture package menu tray icon (came with sony dsc-w17 camera) encounters an error and says to me that i should restart my comp.

The msinfo file does not load when i click on sys info, but this has been happening for a year now and i am not too worried.

I cannot end symantec software processes in taskman.

The computer will not shutdown, and i have to press the off key.

That is it as far as i can remember.

I have got liveupdate working, dont know how.
I installed directx9c, but with no effect!

Sorry for all the hastle which this is causing everyone!!

Harry

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

No usually you can stop something of NAV

Well not with NAV 2005 or NIS 2005 because Symantec have done this to stop anything from terminating these processes apart from NTOSKRNL (the operating system kernel) itself.

Harry, the only solution I can suggest is an awkward one.

1. Make one of these disks.
2. Boot your computer from this disk.
3. At the "Welcome to Windows XP" screen press R to repair an existing installation.
4. Windows XP will be reinstalled over-the-top of your initial installation.
5. Allow your system to boot Windows XP from the hard disk as soon as Setup is complete.

This will completely reinstall any damaged or corrupted Windows XP files, as the problem seems to lie in SCRNSAVE or RUNDLL32.EXE.

Note that this only copies the files over, it will not damage your installation, SonicStage databases, registry etc etc.

Good luck!:smileygood_luck:

1234567ty
Visitor

Thank you James. I was wondering if your idea would mean that i loose all of my data?

I will have a go at doing it on the weekend.
Thank you very much for your help all u guys @ Club VAIO.

Harry