Join now - be part of our community!

Should i remove batterty when i use dc adapter?

patonios
Visitor

Should i remove batterty when i use dc adapter?

Hi again,

I use my VGN-SZ1XP/C Vaio only when i am home and only with the dc adapter plugged-in. So i was wondering if it is advisable to remove my battery in order to maintain its life when my vaio runs in the dc adapter mode. Another question is if the battery is connected and fully charged will it be overcharged or the vaio would work only through the dc adapter?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English (i hope you understood my questions)

2 REPLIES 2
BartK
Visitor

Batteries cannot be overcharged.
These are Lithium-Ion batteries, also known as info-lithium.
The info stands for information and that basically means that the battery, besides power, also transfers information regarding it charge, amount of charging cycles, temperature etc to the unit.
From the moment the battery is fully charged it will stop charging and will automatically only use the DC power.
Lithium-ion batteries don't suffer from the memory effect like older batteries do, and can be recharged much more then the older syle of batteries, there is only 1 problem with this type of battery : when it is drained completelly (0.0 V left) then they can get damaged and stop providing a long battery life.
You can drain it completely by :
* Turning the Vaio Back on a couple of times, even when it switched itself of because of low battery
* Leaving the battery outside the unit for a long period of time, batteries doe discharge by themselves.

To answer your questions :
1. you can leave your battery in or out the unit, but if you remove it you need to make sure it is not discharged completely.
2. You can leave the DC and battery inside, it will not overcharge

patonios
Visitor

BartK thanks a lot for your immediate response.

I'll follow your advice and keep both connected (battery and dc adapter). Thanks for the valuable information.

You all doing amazing job in this forum.
:smileygrin: