Join now - be part of our community!

should our vaios be shutt off / and the battery could be let in

aliblues
Visitor

should our vaios be shutt off / and the battery could be let in

hi all
this is my second post here
i was wondering if as many posts on google suggest, letting the laptop on permanent tension was better for its longevity

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi aliblues - welcome back.

I think it is generally accepted with modern batteries that you should remove them if you are using mains power through the AC adapter. Battery life is maximised by removing it (half charged) and keeping it in a cool place.

Batteries have a limited number of charging cycles before performance decreases - so the less charges the better.

However, it is also true that the technology in modern laptops minimises this performance loss so I don't think it is as important as some say although high temperatures in your Vaio can also reduce life.

I, for one, never remove my battery and it has lasted OK for over two and a half years. I also believe that you are more likely to cause damage to your battery's and your Vaio's electrical connections if you keep taking it out!

Your choice !!!

:thinking:

pmitev
Visitor

I also use my desktop replacement always running on "Power". From time to time I perform some "exercises" of the battery (twice a month) by fully discharging the battery. So this is the situation after 3 years and 4 months:

The "Charge Cycles" counts are not accurate. They are at least double since I have used the computer several times on battery anyway. The first sign of degradation appeared on the third year. On another laptop (HP) and the same scheme for the battery exercises the battery is already shoving degradation after 6 months...

aliblues
Visitor

interesting informations guys : we can say that letting the battery won't harm it after all and perhaps some will take it off.

pmitev : i have a fe31B. You seem to have much more information about your battery than me. I personally double click on battery icon, maybe there is an other way to obtain as much info maybe not

the other question of the topic was about how many hours do you let your laptop on power ? some say that it is better for life durability to avoid shutting off the laptop.

pmitev
Visitor

There is a program "PowerPanel" that comes preinstalled on the model.

It seems to be provided by the BIOS manufacturer but I can't find it as separate install. Quite nice tool since it allowes you to have different power profiles(turn of the power of some peripheral devices, standby of the HDD, screen etc..)

As concerns the usage of the computer:
It is always plugged in the power outlet. I turn it on only when I use it - usually every evening for about 6 hours. If I check the time counter of the HDD it says 7986 hours which is close to 333 days constantly working but this doesn't reflect significantly the battery maintenance since the battery is charged even if your laptop is off but still plugged.