Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver Windows VISTA ultimate

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tania93
Visitor

Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver Windows VISTA ultimate

wondering where i can get the 

Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver from for windows vista, on a sony vaio VGN-FE41M when i try and download it from the official sony site it says not compatable for your type of windows, i have windows vista ultimate.

anyone know any ideas where is safe to download it?

cheers :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tania93,

Browse to the SFEP folder you extracted as part of the Original Driver Download.

If you extracted to C:\ then it will be in C:\FE4_Drivers\drivers\SFEP

Highlight the SFEP folder and choose NEXT

:wink:

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Where exactly are you trying to download it from? The original SFEP was for Vista and should work.

How are you trying to install the SFEP Driver?  It needs installing from Device Manager.

Are you sure SFEP is not already installed?  What uninstalled devices are showing in Device Manager.

:thinking:

tania93
Visitor

no its not already installed ive searched everywhere on my laptop, i didnt buy this laptop from a shop i bought it of someone i know and they dont know what it is about cos it was bringing up this problem when they had it 😕

i am trying to find it off the official sony site but its not compatable with vista ultimate

😕

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Download the Original Drivers Package for your model from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FE41M

This will download a file called FE4_Drivers.zip

Right-click on the downloaded file and choose 'Extract All' - choose to extract to C:\.  The extracted files will then include C:\FE4_Drivers\Drivers\SFEP

You may also like to download and Extract the Original Utilities Package if you want all the original features of the Vaio to work properly (Fn Keys, Webcam etc.)

Before installing check in Device Manager under 'Human Interface Devices' for the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver. If its already there then it is already installed and you can carry on installing the other drivers and utilities in order.

1. If it is not there open device manager and check for devices that Windows 7 did not automatically install.  Look for one either called 'Unknown Device' or something like 'Intel LPC Device' with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.
2. If you find this then right click the device and choose 'Properties' and then find the 'Details' tab.
3. In the drop down box one of the items will be Hardware ID.
4. Choose this option and make sure that the hardware ID is SNY5001. Only if this ID matches you can now click the 'Drivers' tab and click to 'Install Driver' as normal.
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk....
8. Select Browse....
9. Browse to your back-up driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SonyNC.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!
14. Install any other uninstalled drivers.

15. Install the Sony Utilities (come back if you need help)

Good Luck

tania93
Visitor

hi thanks for the help

i have got as far as

9. Browse to your back-up driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SonyNC.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!
14. Install any other uninstalled drivers.

where is the back up driver 😕 :S

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tania93,

Browse to the SFEP folder you extracted as part of the Original Driver Download.

If you extracted to C:\ then it will be in C:\FE4_Drivers\drivers\SFEP

Highlight the SFEP folder and choose NEXT

tania93
Visitor

oh yes i have done it now :slight_smile:

thanks alot :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well Done!!!

Come back if other things are not working and we can try other drivers and utilities - you have now done the hardest one!!

:slight_smile:

tania93
Visitor

ive just extracted the utilities file, but stuck on what to do now lol

also my mass storage device isnt working

cheers

:smileygrin: :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, had to watch 'Who Do You Think You Are'

The Mass Storage Device is the Memory Card Slot.  Install the driver as for the SFEP driver but browse to C:\FE4_Drivers\Drivers\MemoryCard (or a similar name).

If you have extracted the Utilities, each Utility folder will have a Setup.exe in it.  All you need to do is to double-click on the Setup.exe to run the installer.  Make sure you do these in order starting from the top (Sony Utils DLL).  The first and second ones must be installed first.

You are nearly there!