Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Laptop not booting

profile.country.GB.title
OAP2020
New

Sony Laptop not booting

I am trying to resurrect an old Sony Laptop VGN-NW20FE. When first switched on it loaded all the way to the password, but the password has long been forgotten. I erased the main disc via the Recovery Centre then loaded the 2 Recovery discs. The first time we did it, it failed but ran to the end on the second attempt.

It would still not boot into Windows, just giving a blank screen after initial start up. The VAIO logo flashes on the screen – then nothing.

In the Recovery Centre, It ran the quick test on CPU and memory OK, but failed on the Linear Seek Test (E-HDD-001). In the Tools option, I ran disc repairs on C: D:and E: drives. C and E reported problems found and successfully repaired. D ran for 5 hours plus, and unlike the others showed no indication that it was running. ie. (Nothing on the percentage graphics bar). When stopped it gave the same message as the other discs followed by “Interrupted”.

It still won't boot to windows, but I can get into the bios and Recovery Centre with F2 and F10. It also still fails on the Quick test on the disc.

Considering it was loading when I started, it is quite disappointing.

Any help would be appreciated

Alan

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I would recommend getting in touch with the support team for further help here.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
OAP2020
New

Very disappointed in the response from Sony Support regarding the repair of my laptop.. All I wanted is an opinion of where the fault on my old Laptop may be. The laptop was not worth spending a lot of money on, or sending it for repair. I only wanted it to run a USB oscilloscope program which could run on any old MS OS.

All I got from Sony Support was delaying and off-putting tactics. Hiding behind all the different numbers on the machine. A number of emails produced nothing. Eventually, I sent photos of all the labels on the machine to which they replied with a blank email.!!

I have a Bravia TV, a Sony TV Blue Ray player with a 5.1 Surround Sound System, a Sony HD Camcorder, A Sony laptop and a Sony DVD Recorder. This incident has finished me with Sony. I plan to upgrade my TV in the next few weeks but it definitely won't be Sony.

Don't bother replying, I wont be checking. 

PS. I fixed it myself