Join now - be part of our community!

Sony not following Windows 8 Pro downgrade rights?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kyldack
Visitor

Sony not following Windows 8 Pro downgrade rights?

I recently purchased a new Vaio with Windows 8 Pro preinstalled. (SVS1312C5E)

Microsoft has stated, in their own words from their website:

"

Downgrade rights offer a practical solution. The customer can:

-Purchase a PC with Windows 8 Pro preinstalled.
-Downgrade—at no additional cost—to Windows 7 Professional.

-Move to Windows 8 Pro at the appropriate time. The system is licensed and
ready for conversion."

Yet when I call Sony Support and request help on making use of the downgrade rights - ie. the media copy of Windows 7 Pro, and instructions on how to perform the downgrade - I am told that their computer system wont let them do anything and that I should just go buy a copy of Win7 from Microsoft.

Buying a new copy of Win7 would defeat the entire purpose of the downgrade rights Microsoft offer with Win8 Pro - to allow customers to downgrade at no additional cost.

Can anyone here give me any suggestions? Has anyone else had any success? I may try calling again later, it clearly is breaking Microsoft's own license agreement.

4 REPLIES 4
kyldack
Visitor

My second contact with Sony Support on the telephone they confirmed:

-No support for any downgrades from Windows 8 Pro.

The operator tried to say this was due to Windows 7 drivers perhaps not being compatible with new laptops. This would be more believable if I had not seen the exact same model listed as for sale with Windows 7 a week before I made my purchase.

Again, they refused to provide and install media, suggesting that I go buy it from the Microsoft store.

Considering HP was getting criticism in the media for doing this a few days ago, I thought Sony would have avoided it.

Anyone have any ideas?

At the moment I can only think of:

a. Call and escalate to a line manager.

b. Try contacting media outlets that were covering HP a few days ago, see if they can get a better solution from Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi kyldack.

Downgrade Rights are an End User right documented in the EULA.  This is an agreement between Microsoft and the End User and as such, has nothing to do with Sony.  Neither Microsoft or the PC manufacturer is obliged to provide support for the downgraded system.

The End User must source the installation media - usually this is done by borrowing a legal previously used installation disc for the qualifying version of Windows from someone or by using a volume licensed version from work.

Install a qualifying downgrade version of Windows and the system will prompt for an activation key.  Activation will have to be manual as the software will have been activated before..  You will have to telephone the local Activation Support Line and explain the circumstances.  You will have to show that you hold a valid Windows 8 license. 

As there is no COA sticker on Windows 8 machines it would be wise to ask Microsoft in advance what evidence they will need to activate the downgraded system.  They may need some numbers from the Windows 8 system.

P.S. Don't forget to make Windows 8 Recovery Media for the future.

:thinking:

kyldack
Visitor

Hi there, thanks a lot for the information, that makes things a lot clearer. The person I called didn't explain any of that.

I found a website here where you can download legal Win7 30 day trial ISOs, without a key. Would this work to install Windows 7, assuming I call Microsoft to get an activation key? http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

(assuming it IS actually legal)

Message was edited by: kyldack

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you may need to talk to Microsoft direct as things may be different downgrading from Windows 8.

I may be wrong but I think you used to need a valid Key to install the new software but this will not activate automatically as the Key has been used before.

If you get any news, please let us know as others will find this interesting.

:thinking: