Join now - be part of our community!

SONY RT2SY Trying to upgrade the RAM but the computer wont boot up when the ram is installed.

profile.country.en_GB.title
daedwar92
Visitor

SONY RT2SY Trying to upgrade the RAM but the computer wont boot up when the ram is installed.

I have just bought some additional RAM for a VGC-RT 2SY, 2x 4GB modules 800mhz SD DIMM DDR2 however when I install the new units the computer wont turn on.  

I have checked the RAM type with the manufacturer and it is the right type and tried installing it one module at a time with no luck.  I even put it into my laptop to check if the module it self was faulty, It worked straight away.

Has anyone had similar problems installing upgrades on this model...  Any solutions

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Check the memory modules match the specification of these modules exactly:-

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGC-RT1SU&Cat=RAM

Make sure they are Non-EEC and Unbuffered.

What make are the modules you have bought?

:thinking:

daedwar92
Visitor

Yep these were the ones I got. I spoke to the guys at crucial who confirmed these ones were right. 

thanks though.

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave,

That seems strange - let's see if anyone else had tried this upgrade.

At least with Crucial, they guarantee compatibility and will presumably refund you if all else fails.

:thinking:

daedwar92
Visitor

Thanks,

The guys in PC world and Micro Anvika are completely stumped even gave me a Refund.... Sony of course want to replace the slots on the  motherboard which of course means emptying my pockets some more. (good old sony)

Uhhhhhh

mathewlisett
Visitor

you could have of course used the free software memtest, it would have checked the memory to see if a stick was faulty  by showing read, and even showing errors. as this is what my huntch is.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

mathewlisett wrote:

you could have of course used the free software memtest, it would have checked the memory to see if a stick was faulty  by showing read, and even showing errors. as this is what my huntch is.

From the initial post:

"I even put it into my laptop to check if the module it self was faulty, It worked straight away."

One would therefore assume that the modules are ok.

Also the free version of Memtest operates in the windows environment, so no use if the computer will not boot. MemTest Deluxe however will boot from CD but it is not free. As the modules have been proved in another computer even MemTest Delux is probably irrelevant.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
daedwar92
Visitor

The guys at sony are not sure either. 

At first they suggested that if it was not broken modules then it might be broken slots.  but I then tried installing my old laptop memory ( 2GB module and a 1GB module) it is working fine with the 2GB module (thats six in total now) but not the 1GB or the 4GB these are all working fine in my laptop.

The sony guy sugested that the problem could be that i now run windows 7 on the system which was a free ugrade from vista when I bought it.  Think everyone has decided its some form of interface issue not a hardware problem.

Unfortunately no one seems to know how to fix the BIOS for this issue.

mathewlisett
Visitor

well will it not boot up at all, ie not power up, or not boot up ie not get past the bios.

as we know there are many different ways the "not boot up" can happen around, so if it does power up and get past bios then yes it shoudl read the disc

desapa01
Visitor

hi - did you find a solution to your problem with the RAM/no boot. i have the same issue