Join now - be part of our community!

SONY RX-305 freezing??

smsmasters
Visitor

SONY RX-305 freezing??

Hi, my SONY RX-305 desktop pc keeps freezing whenever i go on the internet. It just freezes at no particular time. Could it be my network card that is causing it to freeze up.

Thanks in advance. :wink:

8 REPLIES 8
VAIOneer
Visitor

Do you access the internet over your LAN, or via a modem??

What do you mean by freeze? Whole PC freezes/stops respsonding or just IE?

smsmasters
Visitor

i hav a network card in my pc but i use a 56k modem to access the internet. The whole pc just freezes and i have to press the off button to switch it off :anguished:

smsmasters
Visitor

my whole pc just stops responding!!! :anguished: :anguished:

EzDoezIt
Visitor

Are you using the network card?

If not, either remove it or disable it. It could be that your PC is waiting for a DHCP response to configure IP on the NIC.

If you are using the NIC, try disabling protocols you are not using.

VAIOneer
Visitor

The network card should'nt cause any problems with regards to TCP/IP addressing as it tries to obtain that on bootup.

If your PC freezes whilst using the modem, then it could be something more modem related - dodgy drivers, updates needed etc.

Your ISP assigns you an IP address when you dial up but it won't interefer with the NIC card at all.

MarcBlok
Visitor

Got same problem on RX306, it freezes after working with it some time.
After repair the problem stayed and installing images couldn't be done either
because the images cdrom crashed. After another repairment (new mainboard)
the problem remains. It just freezes, you cannot do anything anymore but there is
no blue-screen. Only a hard reset works. Since this is unacceptable I can get
new machine from the dealer (sony only wants next repairment).
Mmmm.... difficult problem!
By the way: no other software was installed and no internet.

EzDoezIt
Visitor

If you have not installed any new hardware or software and your computer freezes with a factory configuration then there is no alternative than to send it to Sony to resolve the problem.

If your VAIO is out of warranty then all you can do is use a process of elimination to find what is causing the problem.
- Remove all expansion cards that are not absolutely necessary (NIC, modem, etc.)
- Disconnect all serial, parallel, USB and i.Link peripherals.
- Use your System Recovery discs to format and restore the Operating System.
- Use the computer for a few hours or until you are sure it is not freezing.
- If it does not freeze, use your Application Recovery discs to restore the VAIO software one at a time and test after each installation.

I know this is a time consuming process, but if you want to get to the bottom of the problem, this is what it will take.

smsmasters
Visitor

i have disabled my nic card and unticked the protocols the arent needed. It still freezes :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

Should i ring up sony and ask for a replacement??

@Marc Blok, after how many mins does ur pc freeze? Mine only does it wen i go on the net using a 56k modem.

If u hav a sony rx-305 or 306 series PC pls tell us if u hav this problem. :smileygrin:

thanks