Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
DoubleDoom
Visitor

I tried more or less all of the advice listed in loathsome's initial post. (Besides the hotkey-related download from MSFT) --> Download and installation of all drivers & utilities as available in the download forum.

Still my machine (VGN-SZ3XWP/C) doesn't work to it's full extent.
- integrated camera doesn't work at all
- trying to integrated VAIO-Powermanagement result in an error message about rundll32
- still problems with my memory-stick (can't use it)

I wiped pre-installed XP and formatted drive prior to installing VISTA Business.

Any idea's / comments / help much appreciated.

I got the same problems +

- Very slow file transfer from the cd-rom and between partitioned drives
- annoying noise from the fan (attracts attention in the library)

I need the camera driver, laptop is useless without it.

thanks

Sal.

My fan was extremely noisy with vista. I read another thread about it being able to adjust fans and processor speed due to heat to a greater extent than XP and that dust can be the cause of this problem. I also felt the machine was running slower.

I was sceptical but with no air blower cannister available i took a deep breath and blew into the vents and a ton of dust flew out. After that the machine ran faster and quieter. Almost silent again.

I then bought a compressed air cannister to do the job properly.

GazzaBloom
Visitor

You must install in this order:

Sony Utilities
Sony Shared Library
Vaio Event Service
Setting Utility Series

I installed evrything, it works on a vgn-tx1, but not on the vgn-a217s - Has somone the same problem? - or a solution?

thx

I am having issues with my A217S. I have following the instructions and installed in sequesnce and the S1, volume buttons and the DVD tray button do not work. The new black memory stick icon won't install and the wireless switch utility appears OK but will not turn off the bluetooth.

Any help for the VGN-A217S to fix these last remaining issues would be very much appreciated.

Gary

NeilReid
Visitor

Hi, im recently brought a Vaio running vista and im having a few problems,

e.g. non of my usb sticks will install.

I can install the updates you have recommended but my Vaio is a VGN - C2S.

My model is not listed on the vista updates page. the C1 series is there but no the c2.

Should i use the C1 series or will they not work?

many thanks

private.land
Visitor

Still my machine (VGN-SZ3XWP/C) doesn't work to it's full extent.
- integrated camera doesn't work at all
- trying to integrated VAIO-Powermanagement result in an error message about rundll32
- still problems with my memory-stick (can't use it)

Any idea's / comments / help much appreciated.

The problem with the camera utility is that for some reason, the install is abandoned if you run it direct from the self extractor.
To get round this, open the camera utility self extractor in WinRar, unpack to a new directory, and run the install form there. That should sort that one out.

Cheers
John

MikeL
Visitor

Hello loathsome/All

Vista Ultimate OEM Installation on VGN-S3HP

I recently revisited both the Sony Support Site and this particular forum thread to understand how best to install the Vista Ultimate edition on my VGN-S3HP notebook. I have purchased a new hard drive and additional 512MB RAM in order to ultimately give my Laptop increased Hard Disk space for OS multi-booting (XP, Vista & Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn) as well as ensuring that I have a min of 1Gb RAM to run Vista reasonably.

Anyway to cut to the quick. I have "for evaluation pre-run purposes" installed Vista in the D partition of my existing hard drive to establish what if any issues may arise during a clean install of Vista and most important & necessary Sony additional items.
[C drive still has my current Sony install of XP professional and I can boot between XP & Vista :wink: ]

I followed the thoughts in the above thread, essentially installing Vista, followed by the four key items i.e :-

~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

I also tried to follow the latest Sony page information for my particular Sony Notebook and a Vista Install Here

So in my case for the VGN-S3HP I have additionally installed:-

~ Wireless Switch Utility
~ Battery Checker Utility

Also the Memory Stick Icon Registry patch for the day when I may put a memory stick in the slot on my Laptop :tongue:

I had a few personal observations, which I thought useful to post :-

Almost all of the Sony downloads I installed above did not confirm a successful completion of the install, however on subsequent viewing of the overall Software installation of Vista they appeared to be there? (Q: Admin or User account to install as I used "install as admin" option?)

The Sony page for my Laptop provides the following advice for clean installing Vista on my VGN-S3HP:-

Install BIOS update* 
Install drivers**
Install Sony Utils.dll
Install Sony Shared Library
Install Sony Video Shared Library, Setting Utility Series*, VAIO Event Service, VAIO Control Center, VAIO Action Setup*, VAIO Power Management*, Battery Checker*, AV Mode Button*, Appmon*, Instant Mode*, VAIO Camera Utility*, Wireless Switch Setting*
Install remaining downloads*

* Only if applicable.
** Most XP drivers will work in Vista. We provide Vista download drivers only if XP drivers do not work and there are no supported Vista inbox drivers. This means that, for some built-in devices such as the Memory Stick, Motion Eye camera, etc., you might have to install the appropriate XP drivers in case you perform a clean installation of the Vista OS. XP drivers can be found on the VAIO recovery disc or on our website (see preinstalled drivers).

I believe the advice on the bios is not necessary as I had previously updated the bios for XP Install (I checked bios version with f2 key during boot)

But the drivers? What are others thoughts on installing the original notebook XP divers before following the general advice in this thread? How do I best achieve this on a clean install of Vista? How do I best stop Vista from installing drivers during its install, pointing it to the Sony drivers? Any assistance greatly appreciated!

BTW the Laptop generally works well with Vista Where the graphics, sound, mouse pad and function keys all seem to work (Sound controls are great but brightness only works from nothing to the first bar, where screen is very bright)

napsnap
Visitor

Sorry for my dumb question, but here it comes.

I've bought my laptop 2 months ago and still i like it very much. Vista works fine with all the recent updates. When I first testing vista about 2 months, I was totally forgotten to backup vista. Know I want to clean install Vista but I dont have a windows vista CD or backup....

My question is: how to reinstall (clean install) vista without a cd or backup?

I've read that some people downloading a copy on the internet and use their REAL vista key, but then you'll lose all the vaio stuff right?

[EDIT] I do have a backup of all the vaio programms, bluetooth etc.

THNX

StuMcBill
Visitor

Hi

I have installed Windows Vista Home Premium on my Sony Vaio VGN-S5XP/B and am currently in the process of trying to get it as functional as I had XP.

I have read through the thread and am going to try some of the fixes stated! (I am not on my notebook at the moment).

However I have a couple of questions.

1. In Device Manager, I have 2 "Unknown Devices", both listed as "Intel(R) 82801FBM LPC Interface Controller - 2641", is this where I need to install the "Hotkeys Fix"?

2. Am I safe enough to install the XP drivers for my Memory Card Reader, and where can I obtain these drivers?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I have asked any stupid questions!!

StuMcBill

falmouth
Visitor

For everyone who is having problems with using their SD card reader in Vista, it might be worth having a look at the Microsoft knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933847/en-us which may well be this problem. There is a hotfix apparently available from Microsoft, but I haven't tried it - I'm reasonably happy to wait until a proper update.

creed
Visitor

My Toshiba Bluetooth vista drivers worked fine but now it tells me that I have one day left before the evaluation ends......which drivers do I need to install now? The XP ones on my recovery disc won't install due to non compatability......HELP!!!!I have looked on the Sony site but cannot find any oem. Any ideas anyone?

StuMcBill
Visitor

Ok

I have managed to install Setting Utility Series & Vaio Event Service. When I install Sony Shared Library, it never seems to install, I have tried disabling UAC & booting into safe mode and installing to no avail.

The install process just seems to "cut off" after the small "Copying..." box appears at the top right?

When I install Sony Utilities DLL (Which I assume is "Utilities") the computer complains that the incorrect battery is installed or not connected? I know that the correct battery is installed because its the one that came with the notebook!

Is there anyway I can get this stuff working?

Thanks

Stewart