Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio AR51M Problem, noisy

halster78
Visitor

Sony Vaio AR51M Problem, noisy

Hi,

New to here, I purchased a new Sony Vaio AR51M laptop in January this year.

Since I first got the laptop I have had a random noise coming from the machine. It sounds like a humming/vibrating noise which appears to be centred around the right rear corner.

I have run many tests on this in lots of different situations. It doesn't matter whether I have lots of apps running or not. Noise mainly appears after log on or if I bring the laptop out of standby.

At first I thought it was a faulty fan, contacted sony and they picked laptop up next day and replaced the fan, got the laptop back and still the same problem. They picked it up again and this time replaced the lcd invertor. Guess what still the same problem.

Sony are now saying that they can't find a fault with the laptop and it passes all their tests but I'm sat here writing this with this annoying noise happening.

I think I have now narrowed it down to the brightness setting for the screen. If I have the display on full brightness then no problems. If I turn the display down I get the noise. I can make the noise worse by moving the screen back and forwards, also by tilting the laptop side to side and back and fore. Eventually the noise goes away and all works fine for a bit then it comes back again.

Help!! Anyone heard of this?

I have someone from Sony ringing me tomorrow to discuss the next step. They won't replace the laptop until they can replicate the fault.

Any help would be great.

I have the 2.0ghz AR51M with Vista Home, 2gb ram and twin HDs etc.

Cheers
Al

2 REPLIES 2
halster78
Visitor

Anyone else got this problem?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi halster78 and welcome to Club Vaio.

We are not ignoring you. It seems no one has this problem at the moment.

We have had this problem mentioned once or twice in the past with various models but I cannot recall hearing a solution. If I were you I would just tell Sony what you think the cause is and see what they say.

I think most people use their screens at maximum brightness so they may not recognise the problem.

:thinking: