Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO AW11m/h (m) Freezers after boot

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mal897
Visitor

Sony VAIO AW11m/h (m) Freezers after boot

Hi i have a aw11m.  After booted and loged on to windows vista.  It freezers after i click mouse on anything and im left with the rotating circle.  The only way to get this off is to force closedown by pressing power button for 5 secs and then it happens again when trying to boot again.  Please help as i have a lot of stuff i need ie my family pics on hard drive.  IS my hard drive dead or is there another problem. Many thanks for any help !!!
Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mackajacks,

It could be a driver or service causing the problem. Try the following:

Boot in Safe Mode and open System Configuration (Click Start and type msconfig in the search field).

Click the Startup tab.

Disable half of the Startup items.

Re-boot normally.

If this solves the problem then re-enable half of the remaining startup items and continue on this basis until the culprit is identified.

If on the other hand the machine fails to boot in normal mode then re-boot in safe mode and disable half of the enabled startup items and re-boot in normal mode. Again, continue on this basis until, hopefully, the culprit is identified.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Does the same happen when you boot in Safe Mode? Tap F8 when you see the Vaio logo and select Safe Mode.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mal897
Visitor

Hi thankyou for you reply.  Yes it also happens when i boot in safe mode.  It just seems to freeze with the swirling circle as soon as i click the mouse on something.  It is strange as it boots perfect but after i put in my password it opens then freezes.  The machine is only 2y 4m old.   thanks 

mackajacks
Visitor

Hia I know you posted this quite a while ago but I was wondering if you ever solved the problem? I also have a VGN AW11 M/H and it freezes on me after 30 seconds of switching on. tried running vaio diagnostic but cant complete as it freezes! It does actually run of in safe mode but this obviously isnt ideal. Any help would be great! Thanks x

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mackajacks,

It could be a driver or service causing the problem. Try the following:

Boot in Safe Mode and open System Configuration (Click Start and type msconfig in the search field).

Click the Startup tab.

Disable half of the Startup items.

Re-boot normally.

If this solves the problem then re-enable half of the remaining startup items and continue on this basis until the culprit is identified.

If on the other hand the machine fails to boot in normal mode then re-boot in safe mode and disable half of the enabled startup items and re-boot in normal mode. Again, continue on this basis until, hopefully, the culprit is identified.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat