Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Desktop Fails to Boot-up.

dunalexa
New

Sony Vaio Desktop Fails to Boot-up.

I am having a slight problem with my Nephew's Sony Vaio (model no. VGC-V2S). I have raised this problem with the Sony e-support team but after five days they have only suggested that I try to remove the battery from the machine and re-boot or contact the Sony repair number to get it repaired. The computer is out of warrantly and it could be quite expensive to get it repaired.

Anyway, the basic problem is that the system does not boot-up; both LED's for the power and disk light, the disk LED goes off, the computer bleeps, the fans start working, and the screen is slightly illuminate but nothing appears on the screen.

I have removed the hard disk connections to see if it was causing the problem. However, there is no change in the system.

Any advice / ideas on how to diagnose / resolve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.
MacDee.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi MacDee and welcome to Club Vaio,

Sorry but I don't think there is a magic answer. We do get this problem with the V-Series Vaios from time to time but I can't remember a common answer.

It could be so many things but here are a few things to try: -

1. Faulty or poorly seated RAM modules are quite a common cause. Try taking the memory out and replacing it firmly in the other memory slot. You will find a guide of the process HERE

2. You would have a problem removing the battery - I don't think it has one. Try unplugging the Vaio from the mains and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. This is meant to clear static.

3. I know this sounds like an old wives' tale but it seems to have some substance. Remove the mains plug from the wall, short the live terminals and leave the Vaio unplugged overnight. Sounds silly but it can't do any harm.

4. Do you just get a single "BEEP" or more thaqn one? I presume you cannot get into the System Bios by tapping F2 continuously when you switch on.

5. Can you borrow an XP Pro installation disc and try to boot with this inserted? - this will at least confirm if your problem is a hardware of software one.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

:slight_frown:

dunalexa
New

Hello Blencogo

Thanks for replying to my post and for your suggestions on resolving my Nephew's computer problem. I haven't worked on a Sony Vaio before so the guide you suggested on how to get into the memory modules should be extremely useful.

I have already tried to load the BIOS using the F2 key but to no avail, and I have also tried the recovery disks which my brother made when he purchased the computer. However, apart from the CD/DVD drive light coming on and the drive working, there was no change in the screen.

Well, again thanks for your quick response. I'll keep you informed if any of your suggestion work etc..

Thanks.

MacDee.

PS. Nearly forgot, there is only bleep from the computer when it is started.

dunalexa
New

Follow-up from some of the suggestions from Blencogo....

I have re-seated the memory module to the other memory slot and have re-tried the computer again. However, there is no change in the computer state; the screen is still blank. I have also tried the on/switch without the computer being connected to the mains to clear the static but this didn't appear to do anything.

I did notice that when the computer is switched off via the switch on the side of the computer, the screen goes off and the computer shuts down for about four seconds before re-starting again. It then goes through the same sequence as before. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.

Anyway, I'll have another look tomorrow, but it is looking as if we may have to send the computer to Sony for repair...

MacDee.

dunalexa
New

Just to let you know that the Sony e-support team have been in touch today and have indicated that the problem may be related to the computer's mother board. The support person didn't think that it was related to the hard disk; they said that I could probably remove the hard disk and put it into another machine to at least recover/retrieve the information from this disk. This should please my Nephew since some of his course work from school was on this computer.

The support person also suggested that I try re-seating/removing the memory modules. However, I had already tried this (re: the note from Blencogo) but tried it again just in case something might have changed. I also tried the computer without any memory and got a series of bleeps which the support person said was normal.

I will contact my brother now to give him the good/bad news and to see how he wants to proceed. As an additional point, I must admit that I was slighly disappointed with the initial response from the e-support team, but I am pleased that they got back to me about this problem and at least took the time to go through it with me.

I'll keep this thread open/updated on the progress and any findings etc..

MacDee.