Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio laptop with windows 8 OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND when turned on

CHRISREED247247
Explorer

Sony Vaio laptop with windows 8 OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND when turned on

Hey guys, I have a Sony Vaio SVE series laptop, I noticed it was hitting a blue screen last week with an error code and re-starting itself. Now, when I turn it on it has a black screen stating OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND. I have attempted removing and putting the HDD back in place incase it was loose, it isnt thats fine and the laptop regisers it exists when I hit the assist key to enter BIOS.

I did try putting in a Windows 7 disc from another computer I have and booting via the 😧 drive which does get so far until it says the software is not compatible with the laptop.

Sony never supplied me with a windows 8 disc or driver disc so I am literally in the dark in terms of an OS installation disc. And also they did not give me a Windows 8 disc or product key, literally just the laptop and box lol.

It appears I can boot via the 😧 drive or a USB drive if I had this software. Any tips on how I can fix this laptop?

I even searched eBay and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOWS-8-64-32-bit-BOOT-CD-DVD-Install-Repair-Restore-Inc-Driver-Disc-/22...

However they state in the listing I need the Windows 8 product key which I do not have. Does anyone know if this disc works, if I will even need the Windows 8 product key? 

Thanks!

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Chris, most if not all, PC's / laptops do not ship with recovery discs anymore they do however have some form of HDD recovery image. Normally you get a screen prompt informing you to create a set of recovery discs if you have not created a set then you should be able to purchase a set from Sony direct. The contact details can be found in the support section at the top of this web page. 

CHRISREED247247
Explorer

Thanks for that, I tried hitting the assist key and then F10 to restore/recover however this also goes to the black screen 'OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND'. It is as though Windows 8 has been erased.

The only options I can utilise are F2 for start BIOS set-up or F11 to try and boot from a CD. However, the CD I have is Windows 7 from a Dell computer lol which it states is not compatible.

So I dont even know if purchasing a set of recovery discs from Sony would help???