Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio model VGN-CR42Z/R not responding or switching on. does anyone know what to do?

profile.country.en_GB.title
samanthacowe
Visitor

sony vaio model VGN-CR42Z/R not responding or switching on. does anyone know what to do?

my laptop has just stopped working. I have tried removing the battery and replacing it and the charger is plugged in both at the main socket and to the laptop.

However, whenever I try to switch my laptop on, it does not respond and there are no lights indictating it is charging. I have used 2 chargers to see if the charger is the problem and it is not.

Can anyone please help me?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can try these: -

1.  Remove the battery and disconnect the AC lead.  Press and hold the Power Button down for 30 seconds.  Reconnect just the AC power lead and try to start the Vaio

2.  Try removing and reseating the RAM Memory modules as a faulty module or a bad contact could be the problem.

3.  If this fails you may need to contact one of Sony's Service Partners to have your Vaio checked out.  You can find a full list of the UK Service Partners here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CR42Z_R

:thinking:

profile.country.PT.title
kamak25
New

It happened to me. But pressing and hold the power button for 30 seconds was not enough; I had to hold it for 2 minutes. Don´t forget to disconnect the ac power and the battery first.

Good luck.

malcolmwade
Visitor

I am afraid that I too have the exact same problem. I sent mine back under warranty last week and had it returned today - exactly the same problem still exists despite the Sony QA system !

Contacted the help line again and as they are only a call centre - I have to wait for the 'great Sony Corporation' to contact me within 24 hours! Over a week without my laptop trying to run a business and still not working. I really don't know what to do apart from ditch the thing and go Apple - the Sony support so far is unimpressive and ceratinly lacks 'support'.

What a very poor attitude to customers with product issues..............it was new in October!

I hope potential buyers will read this thread and go buy an alternative brand - I wish I had!

Disgruntled, disappointed, and dead laptop! 

malcolmwade
Visitor

Finally sorted a month later -- Flextronics replaced HDD and then no fault found! although it was still not turning on.

Still waiting for promised compensation from Sony - I guess it's as goos as their word - useless!

Apple will get my business next time ...............poor service = lost customers!

Malcolm

Koji Mizuno, Head of customer service is a mirage and I'm sure that he doesn't exist!