Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Pro doesn't work without charger

SOLVED
ribagorza
Explorer

Sony Vaio Pro doesn't work without charger

Recently my Vaio stopped working on it's battery. It only works with the charger connected. On the battery information it says that the battery is at 79% (at which it has been for a while now), but when I take the charger out the computer shuts down immediately. Does anybody know what the problem is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
loudong2000
Explorer

Someone on another board was able to fix this by opening up the little battery slot on the bottom of the machine (where the extended battery slots in) and pressing the small black battery reset button.

It worked for me as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

I have had a vaio that wouldn't work without the mains lead and that was due to a very dead battery.

I'm guessing possibly that a 'bad' battery needs replacing. It could be a number of things however as you are showing 79% charge whereas mine had an 'empty' sign.

Firstly what model do you have?

Is it still in warranty?

It may be a bad charge circuit or possibly a problem with the connector between the battery and the motherboard. It would be interesting to know how long you have had this model. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ribagorza,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

You can check the status of your battery by doing the following -

Start VAIO Control Center and select Power and Battery 
Select Details in Battery.
Detailed battery pack information, such as charging capacity, is displayed.

Whist viewing your Battery details you could also try disabling Battery care this this would allow you to easily see if the battery is actually charging correctly..

However I suspect as your vaio is fairly new you may have to contact Sony support to arrange a repair..

loudong2000
Explorer

I've had the pro 13 for about two weeks, and have the exact same issue. battery charging stopped at 74%. and once unplugged, the computer shuts down immediately. 

however, under Vaio control center, the battery is shown as excellent. Do I have a dead battery or it's something else?

Thanks,

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ,

welcome to the Sony User Forum Community..:smileyhappy:

as you may be aware you are not alone in noticing that your Vaio Pro only works when on AC power, we have been informed that sony support are aware & the problem is being investigated..

Hopefully a fix will be found soon..

In the meantime you can always contact Sony support to let them know that your vaio has this problem, as I suspect the more people who report this the higher the priority is given to finding a fix..:smileywink:

loudong2000
Explorer

Is it more likely to be a battery issue or a software issue?

Radar_
Explorer

Model is: VPCF12M0E, But yeah hopefully there will be a fix soon! It just get's annoying the way everytime I have some time to myself the laptop just crashes out, constant restarts, sony support isnt up until tomorrow anyway so I'll give them a call then. and loudong2000 I have updated all software, I have downloaded all the updates I could for the hardware, I highly doubt it's to do with software, I've had it a good year and a half now so being an i7 laptop it's probably come to the end of it's tether.

loudong2000
Explorer

Someone on another board was able to fix this by opening up the little battery slot on the bottom of the machine (where the extended battery slots in) and pressing the small black battery reset button.

It worked for me as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi loudong2000

Thanks for posting that solution.

Hopefully it will also work for other users with this problem.

Thanks
AxlMcKagan
Explorer

Yep, that was me that posted it :slight_smile:  Glad it worked.  Now just need to fix terrible wifi 😞