Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio SVE1511C5E/SVE151C11M function keys not working

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jallum1993
Visitor

Sony Vaio SVE1511C5E/SVE151C11M function keys not working

Hi,

I have a brand new laptop from sony, its product name is SVE1511C5E, and its model number is SVE151C11M.

The function keys are not working on it, such as the volume control buttons. Sony havent been very helpful with this, and its a brand new computer, Any ideas on what to do?

Regards

Jack

23 REPLIES 23
al081079
Visitor

Hi rich and thank you for the speedy reply:smileyhappy:,

I have a vaio vgn-nr38m and the only special function buttons that work for me is the volume mute and volume up + down buttons. I recently upgraded my OS from vista to windows 7 ultimate and thats when the problem occured , i've tried to reinstall SETTING UTILITY SERIES+SONY SHARED LIBRARY+VAIO CONTROL CENTRE but the problem is still there and its really frustrating because i cannot control the brightness of the screen(i have to position the screen practically at 160 degrees just to see it , LOL).

Any help or advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks again,

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alan,

Have you installed Vaio Event Service? This is the critical utility for function keys, the other utilities are dependancies.

Also have you installed the 32 or 64Bit  version of Win 7? It would seem that only 32Bit versions of the utilities are available for your Vista model.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
al081079
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much i installed vaio event services rebooted and it worked:smileyshocked:!!! (i've been trying to solve this for about 3 weeks and you do it in about 3 minnutes :smileylaugh:),

Thanks again,

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome Alan :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
al081079
Visitor

Sorry for being a pain but forgot to medntion that my cd drive isnt working either it wont play any cd,dvds or blank cds .It doesnt bother me too much because i mainly use my laptop for surfing the web but it would be nice if it was working.Thanks,

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alan,

Is the cd/DVD drive listed in Device Manager? If so is it reported as working correctly (under properties) or is there an error code?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
al081079
Visitor

Hi Rich,

It says that the device is working properly

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alan,

There is a firmware update available for your model:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR38M_S/downloads/EP0000211614_4794

Make sure that this is the optical drive fitted to your machine before proceeding. You will find the details for the drive fitted in Device Manager.

I have no idea whether this will fix the problem, but worth a try...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
al081079
Visitor

Hi Rich,

When i run the firmware update i get this message "You cant do updating because current F/W is already latest version":smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alan,

In that case you possibly installed the update via Vaio Update when still running the original OS.

All I can suggest is that you try removing the device from within Device Manager and then reboot - Windows will reinstall the drivers.

If this problem didn't coincide with installing Win 7 then try cleaning the laser lens with a proprietary cleaner.

Finally try booting the notebook from the Win7 DVD - if successful this would tend to indicate thsat the drive is working but a software problem is preventing reading once windows loads.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat