Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VGN-AR21S drive problems

Vandors
Visitor

Sony VAIO VGN-AR21S drive problems

I have got Sony VAIO VGN-AR21S laptop. The Blu-ray drive doesn't work properly. There are 2 problems with it.
1. It doesn't read DVD-ROM disk. Doesn't see it, however disk is readable, was perfectly read at my desktop computer and DVD recorder. The laptop and disk are brand new. Bought 2 weeks ago.
2. Every software that reguires more than 1 CD to be installed just one after another can't be installed on the laptop.
System stops responding after second CD was inserted. However seperetly all they were read perfectly. Problem happens every time. Tried restarts, full system recovery and so on. Disks all new and readable on desktop computer. Tried 3 different software with the same result.

Can you comment all this and verify if it is a laptop problem.

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Mingah,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

Mingah
Visitor

Muchos gracias!

rikkiblobs
Visitor

I have exatly same problem when installing 2 cd games on my laptop DVD work perfect but any game with more than 1 cd just locks up or does not respond after inserting disc 2
i also have a problem with certain games(Half Life and Oblivion where the sound is all crackling and buzzing ive tried adjusting everything but to no avail other games and movies are fine
Has anyone got to the bottom of this cd problem yet its totally baffling me ive tried disabling norton and other software but cannot get it to work at all :slight_frown:

eaglesrest
Visitor

i have the same problem with half life 2. setting the game audio to 4 speakers seems to fix the sound, although im not sure if im missing any sound i.e. music.

rikkiblobs
Visitor

with reference to the sound i manually downloaded the update for the sound card and installed it myself instead of letting auto update run. This seems to have cured my problem with the sound on all my games. The auto update must not have installed the software correctly.
Still have the same problem when installing more than one cd i have updated the drive software manually but this hasnt changed anything, But hey 1 out of 2 aint bad

eaglesrest
Visitor

with reference to the sound i manually downloaded the update for the sound card and installed it myself instead of letting auto update run. This seems to have cured my problem with the sound on all my games. The auto update must not have installed the software correctly.
Still have the same problem when installing more than one cd i have updated the drive software manually but this hasnt changed anything, But hey 1 out of 2 aint bad

interesting. Where did you download the audio drivers from?

rikkiblobs
Visitor

I downloaded them from the club vaio site in the download section and saved them into update folder and run the exe manually

gbh
Visitor

I had the same problem, the latest firmware upgrade from the site seemed to fix the DVD-ROM problem and to get over the other problem of multiple cd's I copied the 2nd (and in the case of CMR04 3rd and 4th) onto the hard drive and directed it there to look for the other files it worked a treat, this should not contravene the copyright laws as I retain the originals. I can't say that it will work for all multiple CD set ups but give it a try first, don't forget to keep the first disk in the drive whilst it runst eh other as it always likes to return to the first. Hope this helps
Oh dear Sony, get your act together on this unit it does seem cause a few problems Flagship machine Eh!

profile.country.en_.title
@0264405400002079
Visitor

hi all, i am getting a 21s tomorrow and am wondering if i hook up my external dvd drive if it will install more than one cd from that. ? :slight_smile:

rikkiblobs
Visitor

Just got hold of another brand new AR21S and it has exactly the same problem installing games with 2 cds or more everything else works fine. it must be a firmware problem with the drive(come on sony sort it out).
Out of interest i managed to install a game with 4 cds the other day the only difference with it was that the install screen was not a full page on the screen as with the others that wont load, maybe it is a software conflict somewhere in the system thats locking something in the load screens.