Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VGN-AW11Z/B Screen Problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
bexy84
Visitor

Sony VAIO VGN-AW11Z/B Screen Problem

Hi, new to the forum and hope there is someone out there that can help me!!

Im from an IT repair background and even this one has me stumped

I'v had my Vaio AW11Z/B for 3 year and love it! But last week i turned it on and discovered it had a very dim screen! So this would initially point to a faulty inverter. I replaced the inverter but still have the same problem. So, i then though that the actual bulbs had gone in the screen. So, i replaced the screen but all i get is a white screen (with either inverter).

So now what? The graphic chip cant be gone as i can still see the desktop, albeit with a dim screen!

Thanks for any help,

Mark

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mark,

It certainly sounds like a faulty display but you have tried all the usual remedies.

Is it the same in all modes? (BIOS, Safe Mode etc)

What happens if you plug in an external monitor?  Is the monitor OK?

Does this happen both on battery and on AC power?

Have you checked the Power Management settings for when the screen should dim to save power?

Are the voltages OK to the display and inverter?

:thinking:

bexy84
Visitor

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, everything works fine when i use an external monitor, i have been using it like this for a week now!

All power management is ok and when booting up i can see everything as it should be, but on a dim screen!

One good thing to come from all this is that it is not the graphics chip because i wouldnt be able to use an external monitor.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you have replaced the inverter and replaced the entire screen, I am also confused as to the cause.  All that is left is the motherboard screen outputs.

I suppose there is no observable difference in brightness when using the Function keys to brighten and dim?  Is the cabling through the hinges undamaged?

bexy84
Visitor

Yeah, thats the last step for me, the cabling! Iv just sent an email to an eBay member to see if they have one in stock for me to try, thats my last hope!

The laptop is used 8/9 hours a day everyday so its had a beating but very well looked after.

I did abit of googling and came across this site which recommended the cabling so thats all i have left to try.

http://www.laptoprepairfix.co.uk/sony-vaio-repair/sony-vgn-lcd-screen-graphics-chip-repair.htm

Il keep you update on the progess once iv tried a new cable.

Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The only other 'possible' is that the magnetic switch that senses when the lid is closed may be stuck in the closed position.  This would prevent the backlight coming on.

Thanks for the update - hope things go OK.

bexy84
Visitor

Do you have anymore info on  the "switch"?

I did look at them but couldnt really make out if anything was wrong or not!

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

On my AR31S there is a small magnet in the top of the screen bezel just to the right of the camera and there is a magnetic switch in the base of the Vaio to the right of the touchpad buttons.

If you get yourself a small metal staple (from your stapler) and slide it along the top of the screen bezel, you will find the magnet and you can work out the corresponding switch position in the base. This senses when the lid is closed and turns off the backlight and induces 'sleep' if this is active.  Perhaps this has developed a fault and is stuck in the closed position???

bexy84
Visitor

Iv had a look into the magnet but all seems to be ok. Il strip it down totally and see if anything looks out of place.

What is odd tho is that with my original screen, the bulbs wont light up at all. Yet, with the new screen all i get is a white screen (with the same inverter), so how can this point to a dodgy cable? Or a dodgy magnet as the bulbs come on for 1 screen, yet not the other!

Weird :thinking:

Message was edited by: bexy84

Message was edited by: bexy84

bexy84
Visitor

Well:

1x Screen

1x Inverter

1x Cable from the screen to the board

...later, still no joy :slight_frown:

When i hold the screen with the magnet down to the keyboard the computer does go to sleep, which would indicate that the sensor is working to some extent. I think this is the only thing i have left to try!

Just to double check, will it be on the same board as the touchpad? Thats the only sensor i can see that lines up with the magnet in the screen bezel!!

Thanks again for any help

Mark