Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M Recovery

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M Recovery

Hi,

I have a sony vaio vgn-fe21m, I need to reinstall my windows xp and I unable to do it since the recovery is not working. I have tried using F10 option but it does not work, I checked it if the recovery partion is available or not and found it is still there but it does not run the recovery process. I tried running it manually but still it does not work. I tried it through recovery disc which I had but it starts for a min and then it just stucks and do nothing. I have original recovery discs but I have 1 of them missing, can anyone tell me what exactly I can do?

regards,

Rehan

Ps: My Sony Vaio is out of warranty.

13 REPLIES 13
Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Hi,

Can I copy this recovery partation onto a cd/dvd, will it work then?

Rehan-Butt
Visitor

hi,

I have tried that on many occassions but the recovery process does not even start even all the stuff is there,I guess F10 option is not working because its not in EISA format so its unable to access the recovery partation,if I could change it back to EISA format then it might work which I do not know how to do. Also I tried to copy that on cd but actually its too big, its about 5 or 6gb and i have cds only for 700mb and I do not know how to make multiple cds and also how am I going to know that which one will be 1st to run, I also tried to format the recovery partation but it will not format it even the format starts but then it says format can not be completed.

I have tried contacting sony but thats not an easy job either. Since that 0905 number charges you alot and then they just transfer you here and there and I end up giving them my details but I am sure no one will contact me back as I have done that previously and no one got back to me. I guess I have learnt the lesson about purchasing Sony products, :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I guess F10 option is not working because its not in EISA format so its unable to access the recovery partation

I agree..

if I could change it back to EISA format then it might work which I do not know how to do.

Possibly but it's unclear if your friend has changed anything during the conversion process..

Best I can suggest is that you look through the C: Recovery drive & see if any of the .exe files work..:smileyconfused:

I still think the simplest option is to purchase a set of recovery disc's..

I have tried contacting sony but thats not an easy job either. Since  that 0905 number charges you alot and then they just transfer you here  and there and I end up giving them my details but I am sure no one will  contact me back as I have done that previously and no one got back to  me.

Someone should contact you back, if you do not receive a call post back & I'll try to help..

I guess I have learnt the lesson about purchasing Sony products, 

In all fairness it's not Sony's fault.. When you purchased your Vaio you would have been prompted several times to create a set of recovery disc's & also if your friend had not altered the hidden recovery partition's format then pressing F10 at start up would have worked & allowed you to recover your vaio..:smileywink:

Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Hi,

I have tried everything but exe files just dont work. If you double click on them it seems as if its gona start the process but it does not, it will not even appear in Processes or running programs in Task Manager. Yes you are right about what you mentioned about recovery but I am not happy with customer service as its not the 1st time I have tried to contact them and its the 3rd time I have given them my details and I am not hopeful that I will receive any call anyway. Still hope for the best.