Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FW21J Hard replacement - error 333

SOLVED
profile.country.ro_RO.title
AlexandruIonut
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FW21J Hard replacement - error 333

Hi,

I've just changed my hard disk because the old one crashed, and when I try to use the Recovery Discs, I get that 333 error.

From what I read around, it's because the new hard is with 4000 kb per sector, while the Recovery Discs are for hard disks with 512 kb.

Is there any way I can make them work?

Or can I install another copy of Windows Vista Home Premium and use the serial key from the bottom of the laptop's rack?

Edit: I'm also trying to registrate my VAIOon my account, but I get an error where it says that model (VGN-FW21J) is not recognized by the system.

Thanks, Alex

Message was edited by: @0384635600013064

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

H Alex,

If the replacement hard drive is an Advanced Format drive with 4,096-byte structure then there is no way that I am aware of to get the original recovery disks to install.

You can install a retail copy of Windows as this will be AF aware but you will need to check that this is the case for the version of Vista you are installing.

The Microsoft serial number may work for a Vista install for the same original version but you may possibly need to use the Microsoft telephone activation service for them to confirm details and provide an activation key.

If you have the option to return the new hard drive and purchase one that has 512kb sectors this may be the more straightforward solution as by using the restore disks you will retain all Sony software, drivers, utilities and recovery partition.

I believe that registration online is only available during the warranty period but you can call Support on the OOW premium rate number to have this completed manually.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

H Alex,

If the replacement hard drive is an Advanced Format drive with 4,096-byte structure then there is no way that I am aware of to get the original recovery disks to install.

You can install a retail copy of Windows as this will be AF aware but you will need to check that this is the case for the version of Vista you are installing.

The Microsoft serial number may work for a Vista install for the same original version but you may possibly need to use the Microsoft telephone activation service for them to confirm details and provide an activation key.

If you have the option to return the new hard drive and purchase one that has 512kb sectors this may be the more straightforward solution as by using the restore disks you will retain all Sony software, drivers, utilities and recovery partition.

I believe that registration online is only available during the warranty period but you can call Support on the OOW premium rate number to have this completed manually.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.ro_RO.title
AlexandruIonut
Visitor

I went for the installation of a retail copy of Windows and it took my serial with no problems.

Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late reply.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome Alex. :slight_smile:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
lucas2242
Explorer

I need your help, I have the same problem, when I try to change my hard drive with Advanced Format get the error 333. From what I understand from here, it is because the new disc is with 4000 kb per sector, while the recovery discs are for hard drives with 512 kb. You said that you can install a copy of Windows to stop getting the error, can you explain how? I only have the recovery discs of course, but I do not know how can I install a copy of Windows. Can you help me? Lucas

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Lucas,

If you wish to install Windows on an AF Hard Drive you will need to purchase and install a retail copy of the OS and then download and install drivers and utilities from the Sony support site. That said you may now have difficulty finding a retail copy of the original OS (Vista?).

Ultimately you may have to consider purchasing a Hard Drive with 512 KB per sector and use the recovery media.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat