Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio vgn-fz31s graphics problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
davparry3
Visitor

sony vaio vgn-fz31s graphics problem

Hi,

My sony vaio vgn-fz31s has a graphics problem it suddenly just stopped and went very low res. I cannot fix this and nobody can fix this at any laptop repair. Can you help?

Regards,

David Parry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi David,

This may be a result of the known problem with the NVIDIA chip on this and other models. If this is the problem Sony will repair this free of charge within the first four years of purchase but no doubt you have now passed that deadline.

For further information follow this link and type ‘Distorted Video’ in the search field. Although this dosen't specifically mention low resolution I suspect that it is working in VGA mode only.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FZ31S/tips-and-solutions

Occasionally a re-flow of the video chip will solve the problem but more usually a new motherboard will be needed. There are numerous repair companies offering the re-flow service and some will offer a no fix no charge deal - a Google for 'nvidia graphics card repair' will provide plenty of hits.

I assume that you have checked Device Manager for any reported problems with the device?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi David,

This may be a result of the known problem with the NVIDIA chip on this and other models. If this is the problem Sony will repair this free of charge within the first four years of purchase but no doubt you have now passed that deadline.

For further information follow this link and type ‘Distorted Video’ in the search field. Although this dosen't specifically mention low resolution I suspect that it is working in VGA mode only.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FZ31S/tips-and-solutions

Occasionally a re-flow of the video chip will solve the problem but more usually a new motherboard will be needed. There are numerous repair companies offering the re-flow service and some will offer a no fix no charge deal - a Google for 'nvidia graphics card repair' will provide plenty of hits.

I assume that you have checked Device Manager for any reported problems with the device?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Joey7251
New

My sony VGN-FZ31S has had graphics card problems since I bought it, I never new that I could of taken it back for free to get it repaired as I have spent a lot on it getting sorted at the local computer store. But yet again it is having problems. How can I get this fixed ? It is coming up with green lines up and down the screen and also says that there is no graphics card even connected ! Hope you have a solution that doesn't evolve me buying a brand new motherboard when I thought the laptop I bought was sufficient. I bought it in 2008
Thank you Joe
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

@Joey7251 wrote:
 Hope you have a solution that doesn't evolve me buying a brand new motherboard

Hi Joe,

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news but,refering back to my original post, you may have luck with a re-flow of the graphics chip. Otherwise I am afraid that it is a new motherboard (Sony replaced the motherboards on affected models when they were within the 4 year extended warrenty period) and with a notebook of this age it may be cheaper to buy new.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat