Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-S3XP

dcoliveira
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-S3XP

Hi all, this is my first post so I wasn't really sure where I should write this but I guess this is ok. I just got m first Vaio (VGN-S3XP) and I am having a minor problem with my keyboard. I got the HD formatted the day I bought the laptop but I was careful enough to save into a CD the drivers and utilities that were already installed. However, after the format, and as I was updating the drivers via CD, I didn't find the keyboard drivers...
Then I had to wait two weeks before the drivers were available at the vaio-link website, and now that they are available, I can't seem to find the drivers for the keyboard... they're just not included in the "Preinstalled drivers" file :slight_frown:
Although I can write perfectly and most of the keyboard functions are ok, I cannot use the Fn combination for sound/contrast control, etc, but I can use it for the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys, as it was expected.
I really don't know what else I should do so I've decided to ask you guys.
Thank you very much,

-- Diogo

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

:thinking:

Hi,

You can find the driver for the FN key in the Utilities package.
(Link )

dcoliveira
Visitor

Hi again. Thanks a lot, I completely forgot to search the Utilities package... and there it was! :smileygrin:
Thanks again! :slight_smile:

- Diogo

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Hehe:smileygrin:

welcome to the ClubVAIO, dcoliveira

Bugge
Visitor

Hello dcoliveira,
congratulations to the new s3xp.
We had a recent discussion about fan noises on the s2xp.
See here:
http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=16160
I wonder whether the fan behaves the same on the updated machine s3xp: switch on/off quite often, even on lowest performance settings.
Can you give us some idea?
cheers, bugge.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think all you need to do is install the utils.exe package from VAIO-Link, and set the correct keyboard in Control Panel > Regional Settings.

dcoliveira
Visitor

Hi :smileygrin:
I guess the fan works just fine... it just begins moving really quickly when I'm performing a large number of things at the same time... apart from that, I guess I can never hear it :slight_smile: This computer is really great! :wink:

- Diogo

kobit
Visitor

Hi all, this is my first post so I wasn't really sure where I should write this but I guess this is ok. I just got m first Vaio (VGN-S3XP)

Congatulations!, But how can it be? I pre-ordered Vaio S3XP, but after a few weeks of waiting I had a call from Sony Style that S3XP is not available and they don't really know when it will be available but for sure not until end of March.

They suggested me to buy S3VP, what I actually did.
Not that there is something wrong with S3VP, it really awesome machine I am really happy with it, now I am struggling to put Linux on it 🙂

however I am curious how did you get S3XP?

Where do you live?

kobit

kobit
Visitor

Hi all, this is my first post so I wasn't really sure where I should write this but I guess this is ok. I just got m first Vaio (VGN-S3XP)

Congatulations!, But how can it be? I pre-ordered Vaio S3XP, but after a few weeks of waiting I had a call from Sony Style that S3XP is not available and they don't really know when it will be available but for sure not until end of March.

They suggested me to buy S3VP, what I actually did.
Not that there is something wrong with S3VP, it really awesome machine I am really happy with it, now I am struggling to put Linux on it 🙂

however I am curious how did you get S3XP?

Where do you live?

kobit

dcoliveira
Visitor

Hi there. I'm Portuguese and I live in Lisbon, but I had to go to Coimbra (about 250 kms North of Lisbon) in order to buy the S3XP. I searched every single store I knew in Lisbon and they all said the same: "this computer will only be available in the end of March", but then I googled other Portuguese stores and I found three that already had it. I was very lucky though because this thing has so much demand. Had I ordered it one day later and problably I'd have to wait until April :smileycry:, but everything went well.

My best regards,

Diogo