Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VGX-XL302 Boot-up Bleeping Error

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
wibarlo
Visitor

Sony VAIO VGX-XL302 Boot-up Bleeping Error

Can anyone help me with my Sony Vaio VGX-XL302 media centre?  It wouldn't turn-on today.  When I press the power switch it just constantly beeps without giving any output on the display (LCD TV via HDMI).  I've read that the VAIO recovery mode can be used by hitting F10 at boot, but this does nothing either .......   Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is there a pattern to the beeps - or is it a single continuous tone?

A continuous tone usually means there is no keyboard detected by the system - are the keyboard batteries OK?  Try plugging in a USB keyboard.  It could also mean that there is a system board or power problem - check  no expansion cards or memory modules are loose on the motherboard.

For other beep codes have a look here: -

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

:wink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is there a pattern to the beeps - or is it a single continuous tone?

A continuous tone usually means there is no keyboard detected by the system - are the keyboard batteries OK?  Try plugging in a USB keyboard.  It could also mean that there is a system board or power problem - check  no expansion cards or memory modules are loose on the motherboard.

For other beep codes have a look here: -

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

:wink:

junaid_esp
Visitor

Hi, I've been having the same problem for the last 6 months with this continuous beeping. The first time it happened I just left it for a week or so, then switched it on and it came on. the second time it happened I ended up taking it to PC word (had a friend working there) I watched carefully as all he did was plug in the power get a 20" LCD TV, hooked  them both up with HDMI cable and that's it, it just came on....I looked like a real idiot!

I took my PC back home and did exactly the same thing.......same problem with continuous beeping, I was really angry and just didn't know what to do.

I though long and hard.........the only thing my friend at PC world did was to put a TV directly on top of the computer. I got a large pile of magazines and sat them on top of the Vaio. To my amazement it came on!

I know this must sound really silly, but stay with me for a sec...

For a few months I left the magazines on top, until they started to pee me off, so I took them off, it continued to work. The problem returned a few days a go. I've opened it up, checked as much I could inside, checked the cables, the power, even a new HDMI cable, but nothing. I really don't know what to do. Is there anyone that can help me with this. I could only assume the weight on top must be helping some sort of component together, but I've given up now! I paid full price for this media centre and it wasn't cheap...

....Can anyone help?

Thank you in advanced

IGMANI
Visitor

Same thing happened to mine about 2 weeks after buying it.

It turned out to be a faulty RAM chip. I called Sony and the guy on the phone identified the issue just from hearing the noise through the phone.

They sent out a courier and it was taken to France for repair. Had it back in about 5 days, good as new. Not had an issue since.

Luckily for me it was all covered under warranty.

Hope this helps your problem

Cheers

junaid_esp
Visitor

Thanks IGMANI, but i'm afraid not. its now out of warranty :slight_frown: