Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VPCEE3E0E will not power on with red battery light

profile.country.en_GB.title
chairmanmaw
Visitor

Sony VAIO VPCEE3E0E will not power on with red battery light

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can offer any insight in to the following problem.

I have a VAIO VPCEE3E0E which was working fine, with no problems. I shut it down on friday as I normally do and left it until Sunday. I went to switch it on Sunday from the battery (no mains connection) and the green power light started and stayed solid but nothing happened on the screen. No BIOS was displayed etc and Windows didnt load. I plugged the laptop in to the mains and tried it again, this time Windows started to load but the system seemed to freeze. Since then, I am unable to boot the laptop at all.

When I try to switch it on, nothing happens. If I hold down the power button for 5 seconds, the power light blinks green but then fails. While I hold down the power button, the battery light on the front panel next to the Wireless LED indictor, is a solid red colour.

I have tried to remove the battery and power on the laptop but the same thing happens. I have also removed the RAM and the hard disk drive to try and force a system reset (indicated by beeping noises) but again, nothing happens. I have also tried an external monitor but I'm not even getting to the POST of the BIOS.

I have searched the forum for answers but cant find any. I'm assuming there is a motherboard fault at the moment, but cant help thinking its the battery. Just for clarity, the AC power supply is lit up when plugged in and doesnt appear to be at fault. I dont, unfortunately, have a spare battery to try.

Thanks,

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
KatherineYH
Visitor

Check the voltage of your CMOS battery. if your battery is low it will fail to power up the system. if you leave it sit for a long period of time, it may be having a chance to "recharge" itself..

Life is too serious to be taken seriously https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png

Copy/pasted from http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/15043/

Message was edited by: rich912

To provide source.

chairmanmaw
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion!

Any idea how I get to the CMOS, or is it a full dismantle of the laptop?

chairmanmaw
Visitor

I located the CMOS battery on the under side of the motherboard and changed it. The laptop now powers on but does not complete the POST.

while it was apart I noticed that the processor fan is not spinning so it looks like the motherboard has shot.

The motherboard is a Hannstar mv-6 in case anyone else has this problem. Damn thing! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi chaitmanmaw,

If you are expecting a reply from KatherineYH I wouldn’t hold your breath. They are one of many members that copy and paste an answer from another forum without any knowledge of what they post or how to follow up...

Removing and replacing the CMOS battery will have performed a hard reset which could have been achieved by removing both the AC power adaptor and notebook battery then holding down the power button for 30 seconds before reattaching both and re-booting.

Assuming that you have disconnected all peripherals and the machine fails to POST then there is little that you can do apart from replacing the RAM. Otherwise consult a competent repairer, but if it is a motherboard problem then the cost may be prohibitive.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat