Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Z Series Nvidia Drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
KhalsaSP
Visitor

Sony Vaio Z Series Nvidia Drivers

I have a VPCZ13V9E and I am getting more and more applications / games telling me that my drivers are out of date (which they are by nearly a year) as the only drives in the support section go back to 2010.

Are Sony ever going to release an update to this driver. As far as I know its an Optimus/Nvidia driver customised by Sony and therefore you can not use any drivers from the Nvidia site itself and we need Sony to update this.

The fact its almost a year and Sony do not have any sort of update is frankly quite shocking.

I know there are some sites out there with custom 3rd Party drivers and I have not gone down that route quite yet but the longer this goes the more likely I am to mess around with stuff that any normal user should not have to.

Any response from Sony for at least a timeline as to an update? I mean how hard can it be 99% of the work has already been done by Nvidia, Sony just need to repackage the Optimus switchable driver into the Nvidia one and Bob's your uncle.

if this continues I will very likely not be buying any Sony laptops again.

Regards

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

As this is a User Forum you will not get an answer to your question here.

However, this matter has been raised before and the response from Sony has been to say that they will only update drivers when it has become necessary for the operation of the Vaio - not just because a new version is released.  Most new releases have no benefit for the video devices in your Vaio.  An update seems to be released ever 2 weeks.

As you say, Vaios with nVidia graphics can always go to somewhere like www.LaptopVideo2Go.com to get instructions on how to install non-Sony drivers.

However, there is a problem for Vaio Z users because you cannot go to a third party website that offers modified installer .inf files because the graphics switching mechanism between Speed and Stamina modes is contained in the graphics driver and a compatible driver can only be provided by Sony.

All you can do is to contact Vaio Support listing the problems you are experiencing. The more requests they get, the more likely they are to respond.

:thinking: