Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VGN-FZ21Z SD Card drivers needed

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
fraheato
Explorer

Sony VGN-FZ21Z SD Card drivers needed

Hello

We have the above 31 bit laptop, and the Sand Disk SD card refuses to load, although it will load on another Sony laptop.

Not being techie, we assume that the device needs drivers, but unable to find exactly what we need.

A while ago we upgraded the OP from Vista to Windows 7.

Would be grateful if anyone could advise whether they think that drivers are the problem, and how we would find what we need.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Frances,

The Mass Storage Controller is the Card Reader.

Download the drivers, extract and then follow these instructions. The folder within the extracted driver folder you need to browse to is Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) 2.0G - 2.0.0.18.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.
Click Start > Control Panel.
Double click Device Manager.
Right click the device (Mass Storage Controller) and select Properties
Click the Driver tab.
Click Update Driver.
Click Browse my computer for driver software.
Click Let me pick from a list...
Click Have Disk....
Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files (Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) 2.0G - 2.0.0.18).
Click OK.
Click Next.
Click Finish.
Reboot your system if requested.

You may then need to install the Registry Patch in the folder Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) Registry Patch V_A - 0.0.1.1 by double clicking RPatchA0.exe. However as I have no idea what this patch is for I suggest that you confirm that the card reader is working or otherwise prior to installing the patch.

If you don’t understand anything or have problems then please ask for further guidance.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi fraheato,

What is the capacity of the SD card? Up to 2GB with SD and 8GB with SDHC memory  cards are supported on this model.

If drivers are missing you should find Device Manager is showing a yellow bang against the device. If this is the case, and you have installed the 32Bit version of Win 7, then try installing the original Vista SD card driver which you will find in the original drivers package - Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) 2.0G - 2.0.0.18 and associated registry patch V_A - 0.0.11

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FZ21Z/updates

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. Just getting back to this. Have been borrowing someone else's laptop.

The Scandisk SD card is 2 GB.

Have checked the Vista list of drivers, but (unfortunately, not being techie) I am unable to choose which item from the list that we need to download.  I don't see 'Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) 2.0G - 2.0.0.18 and associated registry patch V_A - 0.0.11' in the list of drivers.

Could this be listed using different terms?

Would be really grateful if further advice could be offfered. The laptop is 32bit.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi fraheato,

From the above link expand Pre-installed Drivers and Utilities > click Pre-installed Drivers and download > Extract the Zip file (FZ21_Drivers.zip) to a known location. You will find the memory card drivers within the extracted folder. These should work with Win 7 32Bit but there is no guarantee.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Hello Rich

Thank you for replying.

Going to (hopefully!) follow your advice and will let you know how I get on.

Much appreciated

Frances

fraheato
Explorer

Hello again

I went to the above link and downloaded the Original Drivers Package  but not the item above 'Original Utilities Package.'

Not sure how to extract the Zip file to a known location though.

Have tried the SD card, but unfortunately, still fails to work.  Should I also download the Utilities?

Thanks for your help.

Frances

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Frances,

To extract the zip file right click it and select ‘Extract Files...’ – select the location to extract to (I suggest 'Desktop') and click OK - a new folder name ''Drivers' will be created. Then open the extracted folder (Drivers), locate the relevant Memory Card folders and install the application from within each of the Memory Card Reader Writer folders by double clicking the executable - uminst.exe and RPatchA0.exe.

If after this there is anything showing in Device Manager with a yellow warning symbol then let us know.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Hi again

Unfortunately it looks like I had downloaded the drivers to the PC, will they have gone on the hard drive?  I don't remember being asked for a location to download.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Frances,

Yes it would have been downloaded to the hard drive; maybe to C:\Users\{username]\Downloads.

Try a search for the file (FZ21_Drivers.zip) by clicking ‘Start’ and entering FZ21_Drivers.zip in the search field.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Unfortunately, unable to find those elusive drivers.

Would it hurt to download again?