Join now - be part of our community!

Splashtop Browser cannot connect to wifi

profile.country.en_GB.title
ar5enals
Visitor

Splashtop Browser cannot connect to wifi

Using the quick web access button on my Sony Vaio lap top, it fails to connect to my BT Homehub wireless router despite it being able to see it and has the password etc in place from when it was set up.

Running windows 7, IE9 and Flash 10.3 & McAfee, although I don't know if any of this is relevent to quick web access.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
omniplex
Visitor

Hi, it's a special Linux version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop

I'm just trying to find out if new "virtual appliances" can be added to the (hidden) c:\splash folder.  In the German VAIO forum folks mentioned that "channel 13" does not work for quick web access, only 1..11 - I've no idea what they were talking about, but maybe it helps...  🙂

lucytc
Visitor

Have you found a solution?

I have exactly the same problem.

Connects to BT homehub fine when I power the laptop in the normal way.

When i use the quick web access button it sees the Router but won't connect.

Interestingly it will connect through an unsecured BT network - i.e. BT openzone but not really the answer.

ar5enals
Visitor

Hi,

Many thanks for this but regrettably I have not been able to resolve. I've changed the channels on the hub but as you say it sees it fine but refuses to connect.

I've repaired the software and reset to factory settings but still no good.

However, one small glimmer of hope - I've taken my Vaio laptop to work and tried the quick web access on 3 wireless routers and it worked fine on 2 of them.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that it works with some and not others. Why it gave up on my BT Homehub I have no idea as it used to work fine.

If anybody else can contribute their experiences so much the better, then we can begin to assess the extent of this type of issue.

profile.country.DE.title
omniplex
Visitor

FWIW I've downloaded and installed Quick Web Access version 1.3.4.3 offered by Sony Asia, and apparently it works — the one thing I cannot test is WiFi, mobile broadband over a USB "dongle" or "data card" (the German term is pseudo-English "internet stick") is still not good enough. Version 1.3.4.3 was newer than what I had on a VPCEC3A4E assembled in November 2010 and sold in January.

I've also downloaded the latest splashtop OS, but not yet tested it, because the manufacturer doesn't say that it's supposed to work on VAIOs. They also don't say that it's supposed to fail on VAIOs, or what is different from Quick Web Access apart from their own Chrome + Bing search preferences instead of the Firefox + Yahoo search in Quick Web access.

I'd be interested to replace the splashtop cruft with its obsolete browser versions by a decent "windows repair" mini-Linux, but only if it still can be started with the WEB key. Testing ChromeOS instead of splashtop could be also nice, I'd try it if somebody says that it worked on a VAIO with Quick Web Access.