Join now - be part of our community!

Strange shutter sound and light patch on screen

profile.country.en_IE.title
alidub
Visitor

Strange shutter sound and light patch on screen

Hi everyone

I got a Vaio S series laptop a few months ago and love it, but there a couple of things I'm concerned about.

The less serious problem is that I've noticed a very small patch on the right side of my screen which is lighter than the rest. It's not so bad that it distracts me all the time, but it is visible. It's not completely white, it's just that it shows the colour currently on display as slightly faded, even just a white screen. It's a few millimetres in diameter. I don't think the warranty/guarantee covers pixel or display problems - could someone confirm if I'm right about that? And if so, does anyone have any possible solutions for getting rid of it? I have heard that massaging it gently with a cloth can help - how often roughly do you think I would need to do this for before I saw any improvement? (If it works at all, that is.)

The more serious issue that I wanted to ask about is a strange noise I hear occasionally. I googled the problem and found a few people with the same problem but no solutions. It sounds very like a camera shutter. Sort of like a gentle whirrrrrrr, then the click-shhhh sound of a shutter. I do have a webcam, so I suppose it could be something to do with that, but I checked the settings and as far as I can tell, it's not on at all. I never use it. The noise happens rarely, nothing else unusual happens before or after it occurs, and it's not that loud. It doesn't seem to happen at any specific time and usually doesn't happen again for weeks after. I've heard the scare stories about the imminent failure of my hard disk and am a bit scared about that, but I'm inclined not to think that it is a problem with the disk. For one, I'm not even sure the noise is coming from the area where the hard disk should be (not that I'm an expert, but from what I can tell), and it doesn't sound ominous or clunky. Unfortunately because it happens so suddenly and rarely, I don't get time to tell whether the sound is physical or just a sound effect. I have (very gently!!!) shaken my laptop to see if I can hear loose parts and I cannot. I have not had any other issues or problems with the computer besides the noise. The rational part of me says that it's just some sort of process of some kind that occurs at long intervals, but the paranoid part of me thinks I should be sending the laptop for repair, which I really can't afford to do right now because I need it for work. (Yes, I back-up my work!)

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I want to give as much info as I can. I'd appreciate any opinions.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would telephone Vaio Support and register your concerns about the screen.  It does not sound like a pixel problem and may get worse.  It should be covered by warranty as it sounds like a manufacturing fault.  Only individual faulty pixels are not covered.

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=29648&l=en_GB&m=VPCS...

As to the sound - well it is difficult to say.  Try recording the sound and posting the file so a few people can have a listen.

:wink:

profile.country.en_IE.title
alidub
Visitor

Hi blencogo, thanks for the advice. I'll phone them about the screen tomorrow - I didn't think it was anything serious, but I better play it safe.

As for the sound, well, I'll try but the problem is that it's so unpredictable and such a quick noise that I don't think it'll be possible!

Thanks again.

profile.country.en_GB.title
humanityrultz
Visitor

Hey alidub , I brought same laptop loved it but not any more.... my laptop screen gone blank while working that's all  I tried to switched back on but no use.. I called to SONY they gave few instructions but no use.. they collected my laptop finally.... waiting...........It's manufacturing problem.... let me see what they are going to say........

Screen base was't good at all.... while travelling it has more chances to pressure on screen base and lead to damage or disarray in screen patterns..as well...I would say it's design fault......!!!!!!!!

They should have tested this before.....such a high priced laptop...companies like SONY should responsible for this.........