Join now - be part of our community!

STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE?

Natluvseveryone
Visitor

STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE?

My Sony Vaio laptop randomly froze yesterday after being idle for around ten minutes. Then when I restarted it, it wouldn't boot back up. Instead it would turn back on, the VAIO screen would pop up and then a Microsoft loading screen could be seen. After that? Blank screen, nothing happening. So I restarted it once more, and it offered to be booted via the Recovery Mode. So I did that, it did the same, except for Windows saying that It was loading files. Anyway, it would do the same and then the screen would go blank. Cursor would pop up around five to ten minutes later, and a square that takes up the center of the screen would pop up around five to ten minutes after the cursor popped up. After that a little box pops up saying The Recovery Center is loading, Please wait. It's been like that for around forty minutes without change.

I have a Sony Vaio.
Model: VGN - NR38E.

Any help you could give me would be fantastic. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Natluvseveryone
Visitor

Anyone? I reall need the help.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi natluvseveryone and welcome.

It sounds like the Vista software loadup is getting into a loop because a driver or service has become corrupt.

Have you updated any drivers recently?

Have you run a full Virus/Spyware scan using your Interner AntiVirus Program? What are you using? Norton? McAfee?

Try opening your Vaio in 'Safe Mode' so you can try to find the fault: -

1. Switch on your VAIO.
2. When you see the VAIO logo, press F8 repeatedly.
3. The boot menu will appear, select Safe Mode using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Does it open OK in Safe Mode?

Try going to the System Event Viewer to see if an error is listed. (-> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer)

:wink:

Natluvseveryone
Visitor

I tried to load up in Safe Mode and nothing happened, the computer rebooted and asked me to do either a Recovery Start up or to Start the computer normally.

I haven't updated any drivers recently, I use Spybot and Spyware Blaster as my AntiVirus Program.

I could try Safe Mode using Commmand Prompt or Safe Mode using Networking?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What happens if yu choose to start the computer normally?

If it won't open in normal or Safe Mode then the Vista installation has somehow become corrupted - or your Hard Disc is faulty.

Vista normally runs its own repair sequence but it sounds like this is not working properly.

Hopefully someone else will be able to suggest something else - all I can think of is to try a full System Recovery but this will return the Vaio to factory condition and you will lose all your programs and data. This should be only the last resort.

Can you borrow a genuine Vista install disc? You may be able to run a repair installation.

Have a look through the Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide for your model here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/RecoTS/2008Q2_TRG_EN.pdf

:slight_frown:

Natluvseveryone
Visitor

I'll see if I can find some Vista disc somewhere. I'm going to go up to my nearest PC WOrld to see waht they suggest tomorrow. Is there anyway to restore it to factory settings via the F8 button or something? Otherwise thank you for your help, what do you think is the cause for this?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can restore the Vaio to its original factory settings by tapping F10 when you turn your Vaio on and see the first Vaio Logo screen. Choose a 'Complete Reinstall'. Make sure you are connected with the AC adapter as the recovery may run for hours - just leave it even if it appears to have stopped.

However you will lose all your programs and data added since you bought the Vaio and you will need to reinstall all the Microsoft Updates and Vaio Updates.

I hope in addition to Spybot and other Spyware programs that you are using a proper Anti-Virus program which will prevent nasties installing themselves on your Vaio. Anti-Spyware programs tend to find the problem only after it has happened.

I recommend the first thing you do if you restore your system is to install an Anti-Virus program. A very good free one is AVG Free which performs as well as expensive ones in independent tests:

http://free.avg.com/

:wink:

Natluvseveryone
Visitor

When I tap F10 I get a Edit Boot Options menu and it says Edit Widnows boot options for: VAIO Recovery Enviornment.
Path: \Windows\system32\bootzwinload.exe

Then beneath it it has a bunch of words with \'s between two [].

What is best to do.
And i'll definatly install AVG, thank you!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try PC World tomorrow or Sony Support on Monday but it rather sounds like you are going to need to have the hard drive checked and a full reinstallation of Vista.

Have you made Recovery DVDs?

If not you may have to buy a Recovery DVD set from Sony - as long as the hard drive is OK.

Good Luck.

These are Sony's instructions for a F10 reinstall: -

1. Turn on your VAIO.
2. When you see the Sony logo, press F2 several times.
3. You will get the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility window.
4. Press F9 to get default values and then press ENTER to confirm.
5. Press F10 to save changes and exit and then press ENTER to confirm.
6. You have restored the default values and your VAIO will now restart.

Running the Recovery Centre from your hard drive: -

1. Turn on your VAIO. Make sure you are connected to mains AC.
2. When you see the first Sony logo, press F10 repeatedly.
3. This should start the Recovery from your HDD
4. Skip all the initial options and choose a full, complete reinstall.
5. Do not interrupt the installation even if it seems to have stopped - it may take some time.
6. Run Vaio Update and Microsoft Update
7. Reinstall your own data and software.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

When I tap F10 I get a Edit Boot Options menu and it says Edit Widnows boot options

Hi Natluvseveryone,

When the edit boot option appears have you tried just pressing Enter.?

Then select Restore Complete System and click Start..