Join now - be part of our community!

Sudden shutdown / power loss & double keystrokes

profile.country.ro_RO.title
chris_acb
Visitor

Sudden shutdown / power loss & double keystrokes

Hello everybody!

My Vaio VPCF23M1E has been randomly losing power, freezing, crashing or BSOD-ing ever since I bought it about a year ago. Since then, I have restored it and performed clean installations of Windows on it several tiimes.

However, after the last "restore to factory settings", performed a week ago, I have been able to recreate the problem: I noticed it occurs about 3 out of 4 times I try to update Vaio Care.

Basically, if I open Vaio Care after booting up, most of the times I get a notification that "An updated version of Vaio Care is available". If I choose to perform the update, the download starts as expected, but sometime after that (could range from 15 seconds to 10 minutes), the computer suddenly loses power, as if the battery were pulled out.

This does not happen every time - on some occasions the installation process begins and completes successfully; on other occasions, after a while (ranging from 3 to 15 minutes), I simply get an error saying that the update could not be completed.

Upon recreating the event, i have been able to film it: https://dl.transfer.ro/IMG_1295-transfer_ro-10feb-89f734.MOV

I am also having trouble with the vendor of this product - the romanian online shop www.emag.ro - who, is refusing to acknowledge the existence of the defect, since the computer passes the "Vaio Hardware Tests" without any errors.

Any ideas on what it could be or how it could be diagnosed?

I have tried numerous hardware tests but all come up clean. Prime95 and other stress tests find nothing wrong, memory tests find no errors, hard drive is in top shape and all temperatures are well within range (as monitored by Argus). The cooling system was cleaned a week ago, but still the problem persists.

I have been also having another isssue with my keyboard in the sense that sometimes (could not find a pattern) I get episodes in which my keystrokes register as double letters. When this happens, the letters that are doubled most frequently are a and s.

I have tried fixing the issue by tweaking the repeat rate and delay settings but these have no effect - on the longest delay and slowest reprat rate, the problem remains the same.

The problem could have something to to with the sequence of the pressed keys: say for example that I'm writing a text and notice that a letter got doubled in the previous word. If I delete the whole word by using CTRL+Backspace and try to write it again, it often happens that the exact same letter gets doubled. Sometimes it happens 2 or 3 times in a row and the only way aaround it is to either delete the misstyped letter or type the word again very slowly.

With regard to this second problem, does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or how it could be diagnosed?

Thank you all for your time!

0 REPLIES 0