Join now - be part of our community!

Suspected failure of my FZ21Z

RASVAIO
Visitor

Suspected failure of my FZ21Z

Whilst using my PC this afternoon, a number of horizontal lines appeared on my screen and then it went blank. I attempted to reboot the PC a few times, however this was not successfull.

what's the verdict?........Graphics card failure or CPU failure or something else?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi RASVAIO,

There is a strong possibility that you have a NVIDIA graphics chip problem. This is a known issue and affects the following Vaio models.

Applicable Models
• VGN-FZ11x, VGN-FZ18x, VGN-FZ21x, VGN-FZ31x, VGN-FZ38x
• VGN-AR11x, VGN-AR21x, VGN-AR31x
• VGN-C1Zx, VGN-C2Zx
• VGC-LM1xx, VGC-LM2xx
• VGC-LT1xx, VGC-LT2xx

If this is the case then Sony will cover the cost of repair (parts and labour) at no charge during the first four years following the date of purchase.

I suggest that you raise a case with Support – Click the tab at the top of this page....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RASVAIO
Visitor

Thanks Rich, I've raised a case with Sony.

Assuming that the computer will have to be sent away for repair, do you have any suggestions for removing the data from it?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Hi RASVAIO,

Assuming that the computer will have to be sent away for repair, do you have any suggestions for removing the data from it?

My preferred method is an external USB hard drive or you could use DVD's - both assuming that you can eventually boot the machine prior to sending it off for repair.

Otherwise the alternative is to remove the hard drive and place it in a USB Caddy and then manually copy any data you require to another machine. The hard drive is located in a compartment on the underside of the notebook.

If the fault is an NVIDIA problem the repair will require the replacement of the motherboard which should not, in theory, require the operating system to be returned to factory default. That said I would not risk losing any important data should things go belly up!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RASVAIO
Visitor

Thanks again Rich.

I think the caddy is my only option, as I can't get my PC to startup. However, I've never used such a device, therefore would you mind recommending one to me please.

Richard.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Richard,

You will need a Serial ATA (SATA) 2.5" drive enclosure.

It is difficult to recommend a specific model but something along the lines of this should be fine:

Smart Drive 2.5" SATA HDD Enclosure (HDE-SU2K)

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat