Join now - be part of our community!

SV Fit 15" (SVF15A1M2ES) CPU whine issue

SOLVED
Ledo822
Explorer

SV Fit 15" (SVF15A1M2ES) CPU whine issue

Hello,

I purchased a new Sony Vaio Fit 15" yesterday. Immediately after plugging the machine to power and initiating a first boot I noticed an audible, strange noise emitting from the left part of the keyboard, where the CPU resides. The noise is distinct from a regular cooling fan operation sound, and can be heard even when the CPU is under low stress. The sound is continuous and increases in tone when more performance capacity is used, but the pitch is greater than the cooling fan sound at all levels of operation.

The sound can only be characterized as abnormal and indicative of a flaw related to CPU components. There is another SVF model vaio laptop (key difference intel i7 CPU) in my household and it never produced such sound, so I am totally convinced that there is a problem. As I said before, the sound is very distinct from the regular cooling fan hum, and can be heard clearly over it at all levels of operation.

At times when the laptop is in idle mode the whine dissappears but returns as soon as I do anything. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Ledo822, I would suggest you first download all of the available updates from the SVF15AM2ES support page. If the updates do not alter the sound you can hear then I would recommend you should either contact the retailer or the Sony support team.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Ledo822, I would suggest you first download all of the available updates from the SVF15AM2ES support page. If the updates do not alter the sound you can hear then I would recommend you should either contact the retailer or the Sony support team.

Ledo822
Explorer

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I updated everything possible through the Vaio control center, as well as Windows Update (including windows 8.1), even got the Bios update for my model. 

The sound is still there, I contacted sony support as you instructed.

I'm now curious to know what the average SVFit 15 laptop sounds like - is there any videos in existence or any other owners who could shed some light on this? Most review vids on Youtube and the like failed to capture the noise emission of this laptop.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi, did you have any luck with Sony support?

It would be hard to gauge the noise of a Vaio from a Youtube video probably the simplest option would be to take your Vaio fit to your nearest stockist and compare with a display model.