Join now - be part of our community!

SVF1521A7EW Recovery Pack 8CM64 UK, EUAE685AC, won't work

profile.country.FI.title
snakesurprise
Explorer

SVF1521A7EW Recovery Pack 8CM64 UK, EUAE685AC, won't work

Hi there,

I recently got VAIO laptop SVF1521 from its owner since original HDD got broken and no backup was ever done. I contacted local SONY support asking how to obtain original installation package if possible. They replied that EET Europarts might have something. I typed the model and got a huge list of spareparts and stuff. I also found this recovery pack written in the subject. After receiving the package I've tried honestly at least 20 times to restore the system with no luck. It goes like this: Choose the language -> Choose you keyboard layout -> Choose an option (Troubleshoot) -> VAIO Recovery (or Advanced options) -> Please wait while VAIO Care (Rescue Mode) is starting (progress bar going on...) -> VAIO Care (Rescue Mode) : VAIO recovery solution -> Select english and Start VAIO care (Rescue Mode) -> Start recovery wizard -> Do you need to rescue you data? -> Skip rescue AND there it ends, every time, informing in the popup "Check and insert the correct disc - Cannot use this Recovery Media for this computer. Confirm the model type -Error 114"

Recovery pack has 11 DVD's (*****???) but only the 1st one is bootable. I checked other discs as well and there is plenty of data in them. I suppose that the 1st one is the boot media of recovery pack and the wizard should ask to replace correct DVD, e.g. no 4/11, when the time comes. Anyhow, the package I got is suitable for dozens of models, including the one I have. The question is now why it fails, every time at the same point (where it should actually start doing something).

And before any of you, if even someone, replies asking "have you tried this or that?" I say that I've tried everything, even "standing on my head" while trying to restore.

I've tried several HDDs, one brand new SATA3 SSD, one "traditional" SATA3, one older SATA2 SSD. Trying every BIOS setting of those few adjustable including factory settings.

Why must this be so hard? I've been playing with all kinds of PC's since 1990 and it has never been so frustrating like now with this Sony.

If someone is able to solve this puzzle, i.e. I'm become able to use the rescue package, then I declare that person as the wizard of Oz.

BR,

Snake

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Snake

It sounds like you have tried everything and it is likely you have the wrong discs. I won’t suggest you give the disc a clean and insult your intelligence!

If you haven’t reset the BIOS to default values this may be worth a go in case something has been changed that is causing the problem - for example UEFI may have been changed.

While in the BIOS check the Vaio Model Type there is the same as the model you have the Discs for.

Sorry - no Wizard answer to offer! I have not seen error 114 before.

EDIT: Just checked and these seem to be the right discs - bit of a mystery! Have you ever seen this laptop working?

profile.country.FI.title
snakesurprise
Explorer

Hi there,

Like written before, all "basic" things are tried already :=(

And like you also noticed I should have the correct discs since after typing the model no to the EET Europarts search they give me the package I have as an result. Most likely I need to send back the "non-working" discs and appeal to my consumer protection to get my money back. Such a shame, I'd like them to work.

-Snake

P.S. Have I seen the laptop working? Absolutely yes since some months ago I also bought Windows 10 Pro license and installed clean 64-bit Win 10 to this one, I have that disk in my bookshelf now and I can swap it to the laptop anytime and start to Windows10. So why to change back to original obsolete Win 8? Simply because I'd like to try and test all Sony tailored SW's running on Win 8 and then upgrading to the Win 10 so that original Sony SW's are kept...