Join now - be part of our community!

System Idle Problems - Help Needed!

mistura
Visitor

System Idle Problems - Help Needed!

Hi there.

I've got a VGN-FS15E laptop and I keep having problems shutting down windows and opening programs.

Specifically, when I open programmes - say word or powerpoint and even online applications - the programmes take ages (at least 5 minutes to open. Also, when I try to shut down window (I have XP) after I've clicked on the shut down icon it takes at least 5 mins to action the request.

The CPU access light flashes very slowly while I'm trying to do any of this.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mistura

Welcome to club Vaio, :slight_smile:

Have you checked for spyware and run an antivirus scan...?

mistura
Visitor

Yep, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mistura,

You could download and runTune Up Utilities

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Press ALT+CTRL+DEL
Click on processes
Click twice on CPU
Which one is over using it?

bluebottle73
Visitor

Hi there.

I've got a VGN-FS15E laptop and I keep having problems shutting down windows and opening programs.

Specifically, when I open programmes - say word or powerpoint and even online applications - the programmes take ages (at least 5 minutes to open. Also, when I try to shut down window (I have XP) after I've clicked on the shut down icon it takes at least 5 mins to action the request.

I am also having the same problem. i do belive that its the softwear pre installed on the laptop. it also could do with 512mb more memory ( could any one tell me if the memory is what i think it is DDR2 553mz 200 pin please)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi mistura,

Some anti-virus programs have a MS Office Plug-In which can sometimes cause this problem. I have seen it in the past with Norton Anti-Virus and Norton System Works.

You could try closing down your AV program manually (preferably when not on line!) and seeing if that makes a difference when loading Office files or Shutting Down.

What AV program are you using and does it have 'active scanning'? What Firewall do you have - some (like ZoneAlarm) do ring-fence programs?

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bluebottle73 and welcome to ClubVAIO.

It would help a lot if you gave us your Vaio model?

:thinking:

bluebottle73
Visitor

VGN - FS15E

I am thinking of getting rid of norton. Also adding 512mb of ddr2 witch will give it a boost. at start up. I have 67 odd processes at start up. (thats too much in my eyes) i have had my laptop for a month now so still very clean on the hard drive.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bluebottle73,

Didn't realise you had the same model as mistura!

The FS15 Series uses DDR PC2700 DDR333MHz memory modules - you can buy 512MB for £35.24 from CRUCIAL with free (2 day) delivery.

Use the System Scanner on the left of the page to identify exactly what you have at the moment - if you have 2 X 256MB you will probably want to buy 2 X 512MB.

With regards to Norton - lots of people have moved away from this resource hungry suite. It does cause problems for many, particularly when trying to close down. Favorite replacement at the moment is ZoneAlarm ISS 6 - (it is cheapest at Amazon!)

:slight_smile: