Join now - be part of our community!

Talk about experiences with VGN-FS215B

vaio-2005
Visitor

Talk about experiences with VGN-FS215B

Hello to everybody, especially to VGN-FS215B - users.

I just want to start a platform to talk about our FS215B.
Then I will start with my positive impressions:

- big friendly screen (unbeatable colorful!!!)
What a wonderful impression to look at my digital pictures!

- I like the big keys (esp. when you like 19mm wide keys)
They are common to me like my destop keys (somic keyboard)

- THE BEST: very, very quite laptop (esp. for libraries!!!)
(I had an bluedisk artworker C 80 before. I always wondered that people looked very strange at me when the fan started his job = that was very noisy!!)
So far that is history: my vaio is quite calm!

- I like the tiny little soundspeakers that make an acceptable sound.

- for WLAN-users: So far I had no problems:
Good solution: hardware switch with a LED.
Good data throughput despite changing data rates.
NO problems to install and use it with a VPN-client.

- very stable case, esp. the connectors between display and all the rest of the laptop. (On my old bluedisk artworker laptop this connection broke for four times until I insisted on my rights to give it back.)

_____________END OF PART ONE.

So far I just want to see if this topic is on someones interest. If thats the case I will continue...

7 REPLIES 7
willy123
Visitor

Hi, good idea... I haven't had any real problems so far, which is good. However I paid 900 for mine and I was at the airport when I saw a few models up vaio, for 850. This one had 128mb gfx card, 80gb hdd etc. I was tres annoyed lol. The fs215b is good enough for me though really, it just cannot play games but I guess my desktop can so it's OK.

vaio-2005
Visitor

hello willy123,
I just read your "Increasing performance"-thread.
It´s also a topic about the fs215b so I post it here.

I use the Centrino Hardware Control 1.9 beta 02 to control my vaio options because there is no original sony software to do so.

For office work the Dynamic switching of the CPU speed "cools" the vaio down because it uses about 800 MHz at 1 V.

CPU-Temp at 55°C
HD Temp at 44°C

But I have no idea how to change the graphic memory (8MB).
My old laptop had an bios-option to decide between 8 - 32 How does it work at the fs215b.

Vas
Visitor

Welcome to Club Vaio.
I am glad that you are happy with it.
I recommended the FS series to my friend, has got a FS115Z and he is very pleased with it. Especially the X-black screen.
But I've also seen posts about broken latches ont he FS series.:smileysad:

willy123
Visitor

anyone know how to change the graphic memory?

vaio-2005
Visitor

Does anybody know if there are (fan-) homepages for the fs215b? Please post me links. :slight_smile:

Is someone interested to create a fanpage with the maininterests about the fs215b?
I like these project pages that answer my questions before I ask them. :wink:

vaio-2005
Visitor

anyone know how to change the graphic memory?

I found this Solution V00195 @ Sony´s support-europe-page

Description:

How can I set the amount of memory allocated to the graphics manually on my VAIO with Intel® 855GME Integrated Graphics?

Solution:

This graphics card uses Intel's Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT). This enables the graphics card to dynamically respond to requests by applications and will allocate memory accordingly. Due to this advanced feature, it is not possible to set the amount of memory allocated to the graphics card manually.

My VGN-FS215B has the Intel GMA 900 - graphic card with the
DVMT 3.0

The vaio does it himself = artificial intelligence
:wink:

artek
Visitor

hello i recently bought the same model for 1400eur so say nothing about the price, but noone is about to tell me whats the story with playing games on my laptop they dont run is there any posible way to fix that problem
the whole rest is excelent but ..........could be faster