Join now - be part of our community!

TERRIBLE SUPPORT FOR SONY VAIO LAPTOPS

profile.country.en_GB.title
mikelotinga
Visitor

TERRIBLE SUPPORT FOR SONY VAIO LAPTOPS

Just want to share my experience of having just bought a Sony VAIO laptop:

Shortly after purchasing the laptop I noticed that the date and time was completely off, so changed it. Switched off, back on again and it was wrong. So, checked in the BIOS, changed again, switched off, back on, and date/time all wrong.

So, problem: motherboard battery almost cetainly needs replacing (i.e. I was sold a laptop with a dud or exhausted CMOS battery).

Step 1: contact Sony support via e-mail form. Received no response, not even acknowledgment of enquiry being received.

Step 2: try to register the laptop with Sony in the hopes that this would speed up support response. Unfortunately the auto-form on the sony.co.uk will not accept the model number of my laptop (SVE1511E4E), even though this is printed clearly on the back of the laptop. So, try a different model that is close - result: form will not accept this either.

Step 3: investigate telephoning Sony support. Realise that Sony are running a bandit 0905 premium-rate 'support' number (i.e. don't phone us unless you have an hour to spare and don't mind paying about 20 quid for the privilege). Decide not to continue with call.

Step 4 (slightly exasperated by this point): try filling in e-mail form again, with additional information. On submission of form (not before), am told that e-mail support is 'down for maintenance'.

Step 5: consider returning VAIO laptop and buying from a company who can actually provide support for their customers.

ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH EXPERIENCE. WELL DONE SONY.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mikelotinga,

Can you please check your model number on the screen surround rather than the label on the underside - is it SVE1511F1E by any chance?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mikelotinga
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Not sure what you mean by the screen surround? There's nothing printed on the casing around the screen itself.

On the back (underside) of the laptop there is a machine-printed section stating 'Model: SVE151D11M', however there is also a printed stuck-on label giving the 'product name' as SVE1511E4E, which correlates with the product description when I bought it. Neither of these codes works in the registration. I also tried adding it as an 'SVE1511F1E' model, which I deemed to be closest (see original post above, step 2), but this was also rejected, presumably as the serial and model number would not match on their system. Why have I got two different model numbers printed on the same laptop, neither of which seem to match anything on Sony's database?! It's bizarre.

Kind regards,

Mike

mikelotinga
Visitor

PS. this was bought from a reputable dealer (Debenhams) so is not (I assume) a knock-off laptop from the local takeaway.

635csi
New

You have the same problem that I have. My machine has two  model numbers - one is printed on the machine in big letters underneath. The other is stuck on and is a white label. This is the name that you should use. Why they put two different model numbers on one machine I do not know. Perhaps its Japanese Logic?

They also put the Windows serial number on a label that wears away when you use the machine on your laptop. Mine is already so worn that its almost unreadable. Luckily I found it and have made a note of it on my network. Apart from that I have had two occasions to contact Sony Support by email, and in each case have been pleasantly suprised at the speed and competence of the operators.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mike,

As 635csi correctly states it is SVE1511E4E you need to use when contacting Support along with you serial number. The other number (SVE151D11M) will be common to several models.

A request was made on 6 September for someone to contact you – I will chase....

Rich

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/sve1511e4e

Message was edited by: rich912

Edited to provide link to Support for model

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mike,

Hopefull you will receive contact from Support tomorrow. Can you please make sure that contact details are correct and up to date in your MySony Profile.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mikelotinga
Visitor

Thanks Rich,

I finally got a response from the support centre, and arranged to have the unit sent for repair. I just want to relate what happened next:

The laptop was sent away, which was a reasonably painless experience. However, when the repair centre got in touch it was only to tell me that a) rather than just replacing the battery, the entire motherboard would need to be replaced and b) this would not be carried out under warranty as there was evidence of impact damage to the unit - the repairs would cost the princely sum of £419.73 (i.e the price of a brand-new laptop). The news of the damage was a shock (clearly I never would have sent it off had I known there was any damage on it), and once I received the laptop back (unrepaired, obviously) I could see that part of the extremely flimsy plastic casing around the hinge area had indeed snapped off.

Now, I know for a fact that the unit had been malfunctioning from the moment I first took it out of the box (without dropping it on the floor!) and switched it on. I had assumed (wrongly as it turned out) that the date/time issue was due solely to the internal battery needing replacement. Any damage to the laptop had been sustained inside the laptop bag (where I found the missing piece of hinge casing), which logically must have happened at a later date than when I discovered the fault (since I had not placed the laptop in the bag before turning it on and discovering the issue). Therefore the problem with the date/time could not have come about as a result of any impact on the laptop.

I can understand that from Sony's point of view the casing damage invalidated the warranty, as obviously I can provide no evidence to suggest that the unit was malfunctioning prior to sustaining a knock (although I suspect any engineer worth their salt would have been able to determine that the damage was localised to the casing only and had not been transmitted to the sensitive electronics - clearly it is not in Sony's interest to carry out  such selfless investigations), and once they start accepting such damages under warranty then the floodgates open, that's fair enough.

However, it doesn't change the bald facts of the situation from my perspective:

I have been sold a faulty Sony laptop. Due to an unfortunate series of events (i.e. the casing getting damaged prior to my having had it picked up for repair) I now have to foot the bill for the repair myself, and the repair turns out not to be a simple battery-change (I have checked this myself now by a quick replacement, since the warranty is already invalidated) but something more serious on the motherboard, which apparently would need to be replaced, at a cost that would make buying a new (non-Sony) laptop a far more sensible solution.

On the basis of this experience, and the failure of the support team to respond promptly as described in my initial post, I think it is fair to say I will never buy any Sony equipment again, and would recommend others to avoid them also.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mike,

That is a very balanced and well presented argument of your case.

Unfortunately it seems that Sony are incapable, in most cases, of taking a balanced view and at least offering a gesture of good will when there is reason for doubt on the cause of a defect.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JoyRG1
Visitor

Hi Mike

You are right, Sony are unefficient to say the least.

I spent an hour - 5 phone calls - trying to resolve me problem or even just get through to a human being that knew what they were talking about, but to no avail.  I pleaded with the one human that I spoke to not to hang up and she said I should phone the number I had already phoned with a case number that she gave me.

Then she said goodbye and when I phoned the same number as previously, I was told by the digital voice that this case number was now out of date!!

Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoyRG