Join now - be part of our community!

the legendary 'free' copy of vista

markrduk
Visitor

the legendary 'free' copy of vista

I purchased a vaio laptop in the period that should entitle me to a free vista upgrade - I bought the laptop at that point because I was told I would get it... otherwise I would have waited!

When the update process became available I tried to do it but it rejected my serial number after the second attempt (it all fell over after the first time when I was trying to send payment for postage!!!)

I tried to call the number given, but this was not a UK number and I was charged 50p just to get an answer phone!! I am rather annoyed by this and feel nobody really wants to give me what they promised - neither sony, microsoft, or PC World.

Suffice to say I will never fall for this con again - in the future I will wait 'til the operating system is released before I buy a new computer - nomatter what they promise me!

22 REPLIES 22
mediamark
Visitor

The whole upgrade affair has been totally dis-organized.

I purchased my Vaio in mid january and after several emails and phone calls I thought I was sorted. I received an email on friday to say everything was confirmed and it was on it's way.

I checked the order status this morning to find "the order has been returned to the office"!!

Don't know what this means but it doesn't inspire confidence!!

It's not even FREE. You have to pay for delivery.

What a farce!!! :devil:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi,

I've been discussing this with a friend who's in the know at Microsoft and it looks like they are not allowed to send the free upgrade until after April 1st, so you won't be getting it until then.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Definitely not an EXPRESS upgrade then.. :anguished:

jumbles1971
Visitor

I'm having great fun checking my order on a daily basis. Yesterday it went to 'Order Approved'!

It's just gone to 'Order Is Shipped'!

One thing is confusing me though. On the page where you can check an existing order or place a new order, there's a bit that says

"If you wish to order both upgrades, return to this screen to order the second upgrade."

What's the second upgrade?

vic2148
Visitor

Hi,

I've been discussing this with a friend who's in the know at Microsoft and it looks like they are not allowed to send the free upgrade until after April 1st, so you won't be getting it until then.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

Hi Kee-Lo

I Wrote to the Upgrade Redemption Support Centre to find out how much longer before Vista arrives. they replied,

"We have started shipping out orders, please keep an eye on the website for your order status.
You will receive a confirmation when your order is being shipped."

Vic

inked
Visitor

Mine is now showing as shipped as of Monday 12th March :clap:

jumbles1971
Visitor

But where is it coming from and how long will it take to arrive?

kee-lo_

Hi Vic

Yeah they've been shipped, from the US, so that'll be 2 weeks wait.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I tried to call the number given, but this was not a UK number and I was charged 50p just to get an answer phone!! I am rather annoyed by this and feel nobody really wants to give me what they promised - neither sony, microsoft, or PC World.

Hi markrduk

Have you tried the numbers below failing that there is an email address..?

The Upgrade Redemption Support Centre.

Toll-Free phone :
Germany : 00800 666 44 666
United Kingdom : 00800 666 44 666
France : 00800 666 44 666
Italy : 00800 666 44 666
Netherlands : 00800 666 44 666
Spain : 900 973154

Toll paid Phone :
Phone : +31 880016102
Fax : 0031 555433946

Address :