Join now - be part of our community!

the legendary 'free' copy of vista

markrduk
Visitor

the legendary 'free' copy of vista

I purchased a vaio laptop in the period that should entitle me to a free vista upgrade - I bought the laptop at that point because I was told I would get it... otherwise I would have waited!

When the update process became available I tried to do it but it rejected my serial number after the second attempt (it all fell over after the first time when I was trying to send payment for postage!!!)

I tried to call the number given, but this was not a UK number and I was charged 50p just to get an answer phone!! I am rather annoyed by this and feel nobody really wants to give me what they promised - neither sony, microsoft, or PC World.

Suffice to say I will never fall for this con again - in the future I will wait 'til the operating system is released before I buy a new computer - nomatter what they promise me!

22 REPLIES 22
budgetmil
Visitor

I ordered my Vista upgrade at the end of December (I think it was the 1st day the site was available to take orders), provided the documents (proof of purchase) and payed the same day (by the way, 20 euros for shipping a DVD is difficult to justify). I received one e-mail one month later to tell me that they had received my order. And I just received yesterday evening a mail saying that Vista has been shipped and I should receive it within 3 weeks.

So...
"Free Express Upgrade" :
- Free : surely not. 20 euros.
- Express : more than 3 months is not Express in my mind
- Upgrade : is Vista really an upgrade or a downgrade :laughing: ? I hope that at least I won't be deceived on this point !

spirosg
Visitor

Since the upgrade it is very slow. I purchase an OEM Vista Ultimate and install it (Work everything smooth and nice) and when I get the OEM business edition I’m going to sell it. :slight_smile: :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Why have they put 00800 when it's 0800?

This is mainly the fault of Redmond, they have told Moduslink when and where they can have the DVDs to send to customers.

106mark106
Visitor

Well im sick of being on to them all the time, i ordered mine on 13th Jan and it still only down as order approved. When you pay for shippin it should be sent straight out. Oh and to the person who says it tell them COA not recognized just keep tryin, mine worked on umpteenth attemt lol

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

00800 666 44 666 seems to the correct number Kee-Lo.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Wow that's odd Thal...

Mark: it's all red tape, they can't do anything until MS say it's fine to ship them out. It's all BS in my opinion

vic2148
Visitor

Hi 106mark106

You're not alone. Ordered mine the same time as you and still not got a shipping date as of tonight.

Vic

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Wonder why people are in such a rush to get Vista. Lot's of programs wich you are using now is not supporting Vista yet or not using the functions of Vista completly. Ofcourse you want what you should get. But I am certainly not in a rush getting it. Also mean i'll have to reinstall my computer all over again losing all my settings and programs. Guess people want it just to brag about it.

TD4
Visitor

:slight_smile:

I hope to reassure at least some of you that Express Upgrade are being shipped as I've received mine this morning (15 Mar).

I applied for the upgrade via the MODUS website on the 30 Jan.
COA was validated approx one week later.
Email received on 28 Feb verifying info I supplied and that I should recieve my upgrade between 6-8 wks.
Listed as posted on Mon 12 Mar
Received today Fri 16 Mar (England)

The Vista Express Upgrade consists of a 28pg User Guide and 3 Discs (Vista, Vaio Drivers & Vaio Apps)

Hope this helps.

TD4 :slight_smile:

macladd
Visitor

This is mainly the fault of Redmond, they have told Moduslink when and where they can have the DVDs to send to customers.

It's whats called an "International Freephone Number" For example; 0800 usually means call is routed wholly within UK. If an International destination is reached, the call has been routed there by the company using the 0800 number. 00800 is specifically routed to an International preassigned destination at the Telephone Exchange.

On a different subject, anyone know if Sony will be providing an easy to use upgrade website to assist in upgrading our VAIO's? I have noticed several other companies have good websites aimed at helping their customers upgrade......where is Sony's offering???