Join now - be part of our community!

The picture quality problem with external monitor on Vaio S (VPCSB1C5E)

profile.country.GB.title
strocks
New

I connected an external LCD 22" monitor to the Vaio S using the standard VGA analog cable, but was unable to obtain a quality picture.
Having tried all available solutions to solve this problem, I conclude that the Vaio S is unable to give a high quality picture on external monitor.

External monitor resolution was set to 1980 x 1080, 59/60Hz.
I've got a several problems:

- The picture is slightly blurred, not only on text, but also on graphic elements.
- The monitor flickering - i see light running ripples or small horizontal lines that go from the bottom to the top. Always. With any resolution, with any driver or without it.
- When power is connected to an external monitor there i see large flickering horizontal lines.

I have tried to solve the problem in several ways:

- Connect the other notebook (Samsung DV6), to make sure that there is no problem with the monitor. Another computer works without any problems and I see the bright and sharp picture.
- Set up different types of resolution (1600, 1300 ...) and different frequencies (59, 60 Hz)
- Set a different mode - Stamina / Speed mode
- Tried to change settings in Windows 7, ATI adapter, Intel HD graphics control panel.
- Install the latest ATI driver from the site ati.com
- Tried to install Intel driver, but Intel was unable to automatically detect the graphics card and the standard HD Graphics driver did not want to install.
- Remove all drivers
- Installed the original driver - Graphics Driver 64-bit, 24/03/2011

Nothing helped.

What else should I try, or I should forget that Sony Vaio S can show a good picture to an external monitor with VGA?

Message was edited by: strocks

Message was edited by: strocks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
RegretHaze
Visitor

I would like to double confirm that i was unable to obtain quality output from my Vaio S Series VPCSA25GG.I would also get blurry text, blurry images if i am using the standard VGA output. I have tried with three different brands of monitor Samsung,Dell and Acer.

I would also like to know what is happening, why would this causes blurry images when there is a output with the VGA port. On the otherhand, i have tried output to my Sony 46HX925 using HDMI port, there was no problems with the output, text, images looks fine and crisp.

I hope there is a answer to what is happening, would there be a problem with the hardware for the VGA port or is it just software configurations. Thank You.

profile.country.GB.title
strocks
New

I've two monitors: Nec 2690WUXi and LG W2243S.

Both monitors produce very poor quality over VGA:

• When i set on Nec its native resolution 1920 x 1200 the maximum I get - 1600 x 1200 (Nec shows this info), but I see in Windows 7 settings that 1920 x 1200 was set up :thinking:
  • When I set on LG its native resolution 1920x1080, the resolution seems to be 1920x1080, but the quality is bad.

I've tried to connect to Nec over HDMI (HDMI > DVI) - no problems. The quality is very good.

The problem is that LG have only VGA port and no other holes were found :slight_smile:

It looks like Intel graphics driver problem or worse - Vaio S hardware problem :cry:

msubtain
Visitor

Purchased a brand new S Series (SB19GGBI) couple of months ago, when I attached a external monitor with VGA port, I see line/waves on the external monitor. I was given replacement but unfortunately found the same issue with the replacement. I ended up receiving the refund (which took more than a month!). I was told that its the manufacturing fault with the whole batch/lot.

I thought Sony must have ...resolved the issue by now so I bought another S series yesterday (upgraded model, just came out SA28GGBI), found the same issue again, spent an hour yesterday tried on 3 difference monitors with 3 difference cables with same result. I am in same boat again, unit sitting on my desk ready for return!

Looks like its a manufacturing fault with the whole S series, one thing to note is that when you unplug the charging cable from the unit while the external monitor is plugged in, the interfarence reduces and picture quality on the external monitor improves, so it has to do something with the VGA port and the power point somehow interfareing with each other.

marcohen24
Visitor

I am having the identical problem on a brand new VPCSB1H7E. I'd tried everything to resolve it until coming across this posting and realising it can't be fixed. I'm going to return the laptop to the store, as this is a deal-breaker for me. I work most of the time on external monitors, and the picture quality was truly awful. 

profile.country.pl_PL.title
Lukas.maz
Visitor

Anything in this topic?

VPCSA3N9E and the same situation....