Join now - be part of our community!

tiny insect walking under my lcd - now it's died there - need advice

profile.country.GB.title
FlexiPack
New

tiny insect walking under my lcd - now it's died there - need advice

I know weird title but unfortunately for me very true. I switched on my S4XP to find a tiny insect, about 2milimetres in length walking across my screen, only it wasn't on my screen it was under it. Or at least under the lcd cover or what ever the correct name for it is.

I left my laptop for a moment (i was off to get my camera gear to try photograph it) and when i got back it was gone but there's a little smudge at the bottom. It looks like a group of dead pixels to look at (black) but i'm betting it's that insect.

Is there any way to remove the front cover of the LCD so i can try clean it? If i can remove it, what should i clean it with?

If it cannot be removed, i don't really want to go to the expense of replacing the LCD altogether but if it gets on my nerves enough (and it already is) does anyone have a reputable website that sells sony LCD parts?

Many thanks,

Gaz

6 REPLIES 6
littlebucko
Visitor

hi the way that the screens are made they cannot be taken apart as they are HD and also built so they can take everyday usage.

as for the bug it seems strange that is has got under the screen protector as there is a low electric charge under it to show things on the screen if it still looks like it is there i would say it is now dead.

as for the screen you can pick some cheep ones up on ebay i got a 17" screen for a friends vaio and it only cast me £20 where as it should have been more £££
as for mine its £1000

thanks mcflynnster and hope this helps :four_leaf_clover:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gaz,

It would seem that an insect, probably a Harvest Mite, has manages to get between the LCD and mirror layers.

Resolving this is not for the feint hearted as disassembly of the screen is not easy plus you could inadvertently trap more contamination between the mirror layers and the screen.

This link , although not model/problem related, will give you a better understanding of the procedure.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
littlebucko
Visitor

hi rich912 your link isnt loading up (just to let you no)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The link seems ok to me.. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The link seems ok to me.. :wink:

It's loading ok at this end also :thinking:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
littlebucko
Visitor

yea its workin now i tryed it a few times when u posted it and it said the server was no longer active (maybe busy at the time)