Join now - be part of our community!

Touch pad not working - Help

BoySu
Visitor

Touch pad not working - Help

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a Sony Vaio VGN-FW11 M only to discover that the touchpad does not work at all (no reaction, click does not work either).

I plugged a mouse and tried to re install pointing device drivers. I got them from vaio support website (name of package is "Pointing Device Alps Drivers 7.0") but it still does not work. It seems only the mouse is recognised by the computer.

Please help me !

Thank you,
Adrien.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Adrien,

welcome to club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Try this..

Press the windows key+R to open the Run box type devmgmt.msc and press OK

Click Continue on the User Account Control window.

Is there a pointing device or PS2 mouse listed..?

If you do not have a pointing device listed, then right click once on PS2 mouse and select Update Driver Software.

Select Browse my computer for driver software, then Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

If 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) appears in the new window, select it and click next.. (if the 'Alps Pointing-device' does not appear in the list remove the tick from 'Show Compatible Hardware' and select Alps Electric from the Manufacturer column then 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) from the model column and then click next.

Follow the on screen instructions to finish.. :slight_smile:

BoySu
Visitor

Hello Thalamus,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, there are not pointing device or PS2 mouse listed.

There is a "Keyboard PS/2", and in the group "Mouses and other pointing devices", only the USB mouse I plugged does appear. Nothing about the touchpad ...

So what should I do ? Click on the mouse that appear and updated drivers as you said ? But this mouse does not work with those drivers, does it ?

Looking forward to reading you.

Thank you again for your help,
Adrien.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Do you have any unknown devices listed in Device manager.?

Have you tried shutting down and restarting your Vaio.?

Did you touchpad ever work.?

BoySu
Visitor

No devices unknown.

Restarting the Vaio does not do anything.

The touchpad never worked : as i mentionned below, i just bought it and it did not work from the beginning. I managed to reach the desktop only using the keyboard but the touch pad will not work.

Any advice are most welcome, this is driving me crazy !

Thank you,
Adrien.

BoySu
Visitor

Ok, more info :

- i went under the device manager and decided to look into "hidden files"
- as it appears, vista hide devices that do not work properly so the Pointing Device appeared in the list finally !
- there is an error (code 24) on the device
- i tried to update the driver. It says this is not the problem and drivers are up to date ! Still there is still the yellow triangle on the device and it says it wont work.

Does it mean it is a hardware problem ? Should i give it back to my shop ?

I am so frustrated !

Thanks for your advices,
Adrien.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Adrien,

IMO you really shouldn't have to deal with this on a new Vaio so if this does not work then I would suggest you return your Vaio to the retailer for an exchange.. :wink:

However if you would to persevere first download and save the Pointing Device Driver in to a folder ie C:\Drivers\Pointing using the following link: Pointing Device Driver

Press the windows key+R to open the Run box type devmgmt.msc and press OK

Click Continue on the User Account Control window.

Browse to the 'hidden' Pointing Device, right click and select uninstall..

Instead of re-booting, click Action followed by Scan for hardware changes.

Do not select the automatic driver install option, instead choose to install the drivers from a specified location and brows to the folder that you saved the Pointing device driver..