Join now - be part of our community!

Touchpad driver for VGN-Z31 running Windows 7 professional 64-bit

jorgon
Visitor

Touchpad driver for VGN-Z31 running Windows 7 professional 64-bit

Does anyone know where I can find the correct touchpad driver for my VGN-31 running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit?
The touchpad driver which is originally installed does not work because it is 32-bit and there is no Windows 7 driver either 32 or 64 bit under the Windows 7 tab in "support".
At the moment although the touchpad works, I cannot change its properties (for example tapping and scrolling) and it does not appear in the device manager or in the Vaio control centre.
I did try to install the Alps Windows 7 64-bit generic driver but this caused the touchpad to stop working altogether so I am a bit wary about using the wrong driver.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jorgon and welcome.

I have not tried it for your model but I would expect the Windows 7 Alps Driver 7.5A preinstalled in the Z51 Vaios to work OK.

You can download the 32/84-bit Pointing Device/Touchpad Driver from the VGN-Z51VRG download page here:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-Z51VRG_X

jorgon
Visitor

Hi Blencogo
Thanks for your speedy reply.
I tried the Z51 driver as you suggested, but when trying to run setup.exe I get "this software does not work on your operating system". I suppose this is because the Z51 driver is for Windows 7 32-bit (although the Sony support site does say it is 32/64 bit).

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That really does surprise me.

There is a 64-bit only version available for the Z4-Series - may be worth a try: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-Z4

:thinking:

jorgon
Visitor

Wonderful, wonderful - it works perfectly.
Thank you so much Blencogo for your invaluable help.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well done - A Good Result!!

I have not been to Teddington for many years - I used to work in Twickenham many years ago in the £sd era!

:laughing:

jorgon
Visitor

Well as they say in these parts, Teddington is only a click away from Twickenham.
Only a few furlongs away by horse as well.