Join now - be part of our community!

Touchpad not being recognised

DrMal
Visitor

Touchpad not being recognised

Hi,
My cute red CR11Z/R is not yet 24hrs old and the touchpad just stopped working in the middle of typing an email. It is not even visible in the hardware list, and it just stopped working :smileycry:. I am not technical, is there anything that can be done?
DM

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DrMal,

welcome to Club vaio.. :slight_smile:

Can you check if you have a pointing device or PS2 mouse listed in Device manager, also do you have any error codes or warning icons.?

You can do this by going to Start, then type Devmgmt.msc in the start search box, then click on Devmgmt.msc

If the UAC window appears click OK.

Then click on the + next to Mice & other pointing devices to expand the tree..

DrMal
Visitor

Hi Thalamus, I have searched for this file and nothing is found :cry:

DrMal
Visitor

Hi,
Found the Device Manager & the touchpad can only be seen when you show hidden devices, it comes up with a little yellow thingy beside the graphic. Double clicking comes up with the following message:
"This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available"

This is odd as I can see the touchpad on my laptop and Microsft check solutions is of no help! ANy advice much appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DrMal,

As I'm on a XP machine the guide below is for XP but it should be similar for Vista, if not post back.. :wink:

Go to Start > Run type devmgmt.msc and press OK, Device Manager window should open, double click Mouse and Other Pointing Devices.

Select the 'Driver' tab and click on Update driver.

A new Hardware Update Window will appear, select Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and click next

The window now changes select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install' and click next.

If 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) appears in the new window, select it and click next..

If the 'Alps Pointing-device' does not appear in the list remove the tick from 'Show Compatible Hardware' and select Alps Electric from the Manufacturer column then 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) from the model column and then click next.

Wait for the driver to install then click Finish, a System Settings Change window should now appear prompting you to Restart your Computer and click Yes to restart..... :slight_smile: