Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to put windows 7 back on

profile.country.en_GB.title
KAED1985
Visitor

Trying to put windows 7 back on

Can anyone help?

I have had to restore my daughters (not happy) I am now trying to put windows 7 on but it keeps saying.

The Supplement Disc utility has stopped and cannot continue because the main C: drive paprtition is not available.

Restore your computer to the original factory settings and try using the  Supplement Disc utility again.

I have now restored the laptop 4 times now and it still won't work. Any ideas?

Please help as now I have lost my laptop to her :slight_frown:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

You are using the official SONY Windows 7 Upgrade package to install Windows 7.

That will only work if the SONY Vista build is already on the machine.

The supplement disc has two jobs:

1) remove programs and drivers that would be a problem when upgrading from Vista to Windows 7,

2) install drivers and Windows 7 compatible versions after the upgrade (not everything moves, see limitations).

If the hard disc has been wiped and you don't have the original factory recovery discs (with Vista), then you cannot use the Windows 7 upgrade Kit as it was meant to be used.

You have two options:

1) Use the Windows 7 disc and license key that came with the upgrade pack to install naked Windows 7, download the Windows 7 driver upgrades (and Vista drivers where gaps are).

2) Buy replacement recovery discs from VAIO Support, use those to put the factory Vista build back on the machine, use the supplement disc to prep for Win7, use the Win7 disc to install, use the supplement disc again to finish up. Takes longer in total, but the advantages are that you don't have to fiddle with the individual drivers and that you can kepp all software that's bound by license to the factory build.