Join now - be part of our community!

TX1 fan noise

McMagnus
Visitor

TX1 fan noise

Hi

I upgraded from a T1XP to a TX1XP last week and the new fan is starting to bother me. I've heard (at Tom's hardware I think) that the new Centrino chipset runs a bit hotter than the old, but I thought the BIOS would be able to keep it slow enough at the lowest performance setting to not bother me.

However, when at the lowest possible performance (CPU Control on "Battery Life" and the "System Idle Process" toggles between 98-99% and the My Computer->Properties says the CPU is running at 299MHz), the fan is still spinning up and down every 6 seconds or so. The old T1XP was dead silent until I at least started compiling or something. And then the fan spun up only after running at 100% CPU for almost a minute.

Also, the fan itself has a noise of its own in the new TX1XP. In the old T1XP, all I heard was the sound of the air flowing out, nothing else.

So, the problem is two-fold.

1. The fan spins up and down constantly. It runs *much* more than the old T1XP.

2. The fan sounds more than necessary. The old T1XP proves that it's possible to make them really silent, why isn't the new as silent? Did I get a bad one? Should I switch?

101 REPLIES 101
Sonny_Jim
Visitor

agoetz wrote:

Have a look at this:
http://www.prestige.sonystyle.co.uk/prestige/en/prestige.html
Start the presentation of the TX2. When the part on saving battery power is coming up, look at the bottom line "fanless cooling" is mentioned there.

Yup, here's a snapshot of the salient bit - got 'em 'bang to rights', I reckon!

...maybe Sony's marketing execs were given TX1s and got carried away with their own wishful thinking!...

:kissing:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LOL well that's good evidence - they can't really deny it, but watch out they might change the advert

Pagemakers
Visitor

So have we decided yet? fan or no fan in the TX2?

Gavroche
Visitor

The TX2 has a fan !! I've seen and heard it...

Pagemakers
Visitor

The TX2 has a fan !! I've seen and heard it...

...as noisy as the TX1?

Pagemakers
Visitor

Saw the TX2 in Dixons this morning and it did seem silent. The was no battery attached, just a PSU, would that make a difference?

Anybody care to compare the noise of the TX1 & 2 from first hand experiences?

Pagemakers
Visitor

Well to answer my own question I have just seen another TX2 with the PSU and battery connected.

Sorry to say the fan was running at full tilt and it was every bit as noisy as my TX1.

No TX2 for me then 😞

benoutram
Visitor

S3XP has the same problem. The fan is very very loud and is constantly changing speeds / going on and off.

The notebook is also very hot. It can get as high as 70 degrees according to mobilemeter. The bottom gets too hot to touch which can't be right. :cry:

Pagemakers
Visitor

Sony Tech Support just rep[lied to my email about the TX2's fan....

"Thank you for contacting us. The Tx2 series does not have a fan. It has an inbuilt liquid cooling system. "

Now, that has confused me because on the TX2s in the UK shops I can definately hear a fan!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sony Tech Support just rep[lied to my email about the TX2's fan....

"Thank you for contacting us. The Tx2 series does not have a fan. It has an inbuilt liquid cooling system. "

Now, that has confused me because on the TX2s in the UK shops I can definately hear a fan!!!

I don't believe this for one second, as a liquid system is VERY heavy. Just try picking up an RA104, nearly had a hearnia putting it on my desk!

It would have a fan as well as liquid though, as the RA104 does