Join now - be part of our community!

TX1 fan noise

McMagnus
Visitor

TX1 fan noise

Hi

I upgraded from a T1XP to a TX1XP last week and the new fan is starting to bother me. I've heard (at Tom's hardware I think) that the new Centrino chipset runs a bit hotter than the old, but I thought the BIOS would be able to keep it slow enough at the lowest performance setting to not bother me.

However, when at the lowest possible performance (CPU Control on "Battery Life" and the "System Idle Process" toggles between 98-99% and the My Computer->Properties says the CPU is running at 299MHz), the fan is still spinning up and down every 6 seconds or so. The old T1XP was dead silent until I at least started compiling or something. And then the fan spun up only after running at 100% CPU for almost a minute.

Also, the fan itself has a noise of its own in the new TX1XP. In the old T1XP, all I heard was the sound of the air flowing out, nothing else.

So, the problem is two-fold.

1. The fan spins up and down constantly. It runs *much* more than the old T1XP.

2. The fan sounds more than necessary. The old T1XP proves that it's possible to make them really silent, why isn't the new as silent? Did I get a bad one? Should I switch?

101 REPLIES 101
Pagemakers
Visitor

I have just turned my laptop on to read this topic. My machine has only been on for 5 minutes and already the fan is on and off, on and off every few seconds. The fan only stays on for about 1 or 2 seconds at a time, so I would imaging that's pretty useless as far as cooling is concerned.

I have raised this issue with e-support.

The fan noise is driving me nuts.

My advice - don't by this laptop until Sony fix this.

lantek
Visitor

I have just turned my laptop on to read this topic. My machine has only been on for 5 minutes and already the fan is on and off, on and off every few seconds.  The fan only stays on for about 1 or 2 seconds at a time, so I would imaging that's pretty useless as far as cooling is concerned.

I have raised this issue with e-support.

The fan noise is driving me nuts.

My advice - don't by this laptop until Sony fix this.

Yup same here. On battery it takes around4 to 5 minutes to reach 60 degrees, and then you are in trouble. Constant on and off fan noise, until it reaches about 63 degrees, and then you get the full constant onslaught of the fan. To make matters worse, its a constantly variable rpm fan, so you get a winding up and winding down sound as it varies its speed. Its even to the point where opening Explorer, or moving the mouse increases the fan RPM audiable.

Pagemakers
Visitor

Just had my first totally useless reply from Vaio e-support. They said - run the recovery app to restore the laptop!!!

I suggested they located one of these things and plugged it in and listened to it.

Ooh, better go. The fan's about to launch into outer space. I'll come back and check the forum later after it's cooled down again :wink:

lantek
Visitor

I tried to call Sony about the problem. Spent 25 mins in the queue, spoke to a guy for 2 minutes, he put me on hold, and I then was promptly cut off.

lantek
Visitor

Just to rule it out, I also bought the Sony port replicator, to see if raising the base of the desk surface would have impact. Unfortunately that makes no difference either.

I also tried one of these http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U, again no change.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Just to rule it out, I also bought the Sony port replicator, to see if raising the base of the desk surface would have impact. Unfortunately that makes no difference either.

I also tried one of these http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U, again no change.

Read the features correctly!

Prevent overheating: Two-fan cooling system pulls heat away from the notebook and prevents the CPU from overheating during use
If you can't turn this device at the bottom or change the between blow and suck, then it will work against the fans in your VAIO. Which suck air from the bottom and blow it out at backsite. It can't work then.

lantek
Visitor

Read the features correctly!

Prevent overheating: Two-fan cooling system pulls heat away from the notebook and prevents the CPU from overheating during use
If you can't turn this device at the bottom or change the between blow and suck, then it will work against the fans in your VAIO. Which suck air from the bottom and blow it out at backsite. It can't work then.

I am just saying the Targus Chill Pad made no difference, it didnt increase the temp and it didnt decrease it. I posted this here incase anyone else was tempted into trying it, which would be a waste of money.

Either way, this doesnt change the fact that the TX1XP has some serious fan problems.

Pagemakers
Visitor

Do Sony read this? I hope they do. I'm getting to the stage where I have to decide to keep it or take it back.

I want to keep it, but if Sony won't say if there will be a future update to fix the problem then, sadly the laptop will have to go.

I spend more time listening to the fan cycling up and down then I do actually doing work.

PS: If anybody contacts Sony, please point them to this topic.

lantek
Visitor

Do Sony read this?  I hope they do.  I'm getting to the stage where I have to decide to keep it or take it back.

I want to keep it, but if Sony won't say if there will be a future update to fix the problem then, sadly the laptop will have to go.

I spend more time listening to the fan cycling up and down then I do actually doing work.

PS: If anybody contacts Sony, please point them to this topic.

I have an outstanding support ticket with Sony, which references this thread as an example of other users having problems, and I also referenced the review at trustedreviews.com which indicates the fan problem.

Pagemakers
Visitor

....and then it's mentioned in this review too..

http://laptop-notebook.blogspot.com/2005/10/sony-vaio-tx1xp.html