Join now - be part of our community!

TX1 fan noise

McMagnus
Visitor

TX1 fan noise

Hi

I upgraded from a T1XP to a TX1XP last week and the new fan is starting to bother me. I've heard (at Tom's hardware I think) that the new Centrino chipset runs a bit hotter than the old, but I thought the BIOS would be able to keep it slow enough at the lowest performance setting to not bother me.

However, when at the lowest possible performance (CPU Control on "Battery Life" and the "System Idle Process" toggles between 98-99% and the My Computer->Properties says the CPU is running at 299MHz), the fan is still spinning up and down every 6 seconds or so. The old T1XP was dead silent until I at least started compiling or something. And then the fan spun up only after running at 100% CPU for almost a minute.

Also, the fan itself has a noise of its own in the new TX1XP. In the old T1XP, all I heard was the sound of the air flowing out, nothing else.

So, the problem is two-fold.

1. The fan spins up and down constantly. It runs *much* more than the old T1XP.

2. The fan sounds more than necessary. The old T1XP proves that it's possible to make them really silent, why isn't the new as silent? Did I get a bad one? Should I switch?

101 REPLIES 101
McMagnus
Visitor

But they made sure to change the specs in the cheapest possible way by increasing the HD 60->80GB. They will probably use that change to claim it's a *new* model, not just a fixed model.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

They should aim to replace the TX1s

Pagemakers
Visitor

Guys, I totally agree with you. Any idea how we could make this a Class Action?

I have just contacted Sony and spend 40 minutes on the phone. They refuse to acknowledge a problem with the TX1.

I requested an address to issue a court summons to and I was given:

Sony UK
The Heights
Brooklands
Weybridge
Surrey
KT13 0XW

kee-lo_

Something you'd need to discuss with your solicitor to see if it's viable

lantek
Visitor

Guys, I totally agree with you.  Any idea how we could make this a Class Action?

I have just contacted Sony and spend 40 minutes on the phone. They refuse to acknowledge a problem with the TX1.

I requested an address to issue a court summons to and I was given:

Sony UK
The Heights
Brooklands
Weybridge
Surrey
KT13 0XW

Did you mention that we view the TX2 as an obvious fix for the TX1 problems? How did they explain that away? Thanks.

kee-lo_

The problem would be to prove it, unless you have a good solicitor and stacks of cash then I can't really see how this would go in your favour, but I'm no law guru.

Pagemakers
Visitor

Sony said they update laptops all the time. The fan is not a bug and the fact that there is no fan on the TX2 (although he didn't know that) is just progress. He said they make new model numbers even just after more memory for example.

He would just not accept that the TX1 had a fan problem.

lantek
Visitor

Sony said they update laptops all the time.  The fan is not a bug and the fact that there is no fan on the TX2 (although he didn't know that) is just progress.  He said they make new model numbers even just after more memory for example.

He would just not accept that the TX1 had a fan problem.

Yep I have had the same sorry excuse of an answer. The best part, which is totally laughable, is that they wanted £30 to check the PC and to tell me there is no fault with my unit. What they fail to understand, despite repeated discussions, is that this is affecting all units, and is therefore a design flaw, not a component fault with an individual unit.

I am now taking this up with Sony customer service and http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/

Dealing with Sony technical support is a total waste of time.

Pagemakers
Visitor

I had exactly the same discussion too.

Pathetic isn't it.

It IS a design flaw.

kee-lo_

I want to know how it's got no fan?
It's not water cooling as it's heavy