Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to do a Windows 10 clean install on VAIO Pro 13

SeeNoWeevil
Explorer

Unable to do a Windows 10 clean install on VAIO Pro 13

I have a VAIO Pro 13 laptop which had been upgraded to Windows 10 but was long overdue a clean install. The installation went fine, all partitions were removed and a single large partition created (possibly a little hasty). Booted into Windows fine, ran Windows update and then rebooted. The machine hung at the manufacturer logo. After no luck getting it to boot I re-ran the Windows installer only now to be presented with it not being able to find the hard disk. The disk is reported in the bios. I've tried various Intel sata drivers, which still show up when you check 'hide drivers not compatible with this pc', but no luck. The drive is never found. I'm guessing the first time round the correct driver was found from the existing install or maybe the Sony partitions? I've tried turning secure boot off in the bios and enabling legacy boot mode, no change. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

4 REPLIES 4
SeeNoWeevil
Explorer

I'm fairly sure the disk is dead. Tried the Ubuntu installer and that couldn't recognise the drive either.

I'm contemplating ordering a recovery disk but I'm skeptical that will be any different. 

profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

It seems an odd coincidence/terrible luck that your hard drive fails at the exact moment you are re-installing windows.

I have assumed that you have the drivers you mentioned on a USB stick and that you are trying to point the "select drive/partition" step of the installer at this USB stick?

See if the video on page 1 of this link helps.

And look at the first post on page 2.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/45668-windows-10-clean-install-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up...

SeeNoWeevil
Explorer

Yeah, I've tried every possible SATA driver. I'm fairly sure the disk is dead. Has anyone had any luck replacing the SSD in a Pro 13? I'm considering opening it up and trying to find an exact replacement for the currently installed SSD (I don't think I can determine this without opening it up)

I'm currently running Ubuntu Live from a USB and it works fine without accessing the SSD.

Also, for the last couple of weeks, the power button will sometimes glow orange when the machine is put to sleep (even with the power cable connected). My understanding is that this is a sign of a weak battery that can't sustain the sleep (battery life is quite poor now).

SeeNoWeevil
Explorer

Issue was resolved by replacing the SSD. Samsung 850 EVO M.2.