Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to start up laptop, keeps crashing

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
carnauth
Visitor

Unable to start up laptop, keeps crashing

Hi,

I have a VGN-FZ21E notebook (with Windows Vista) which kept crashing (initial message said display driver not responding) and now I can't get it to start up. Any attempts to start in safe mode or otherwise result in a scrambled screen with a blue background.

A friend assisted me with extracting files from the hard drive on to his external hard drive and we attempted a complete system restore using the recovery discs I'd created after buying the laptop three years ago. Once the system restore was complete I was still unable to start up my laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what could be wrong and/or how to fix it?

I can't get through on the Sony helpline as don't have a serial number on my laptop (only a product key), so am rather stuck.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi carnauth.

Here is what the Sony Statement says.  Basically, if your Vaio has this fault, is on the list provided and is less than 4 years old, Sony will fix it free of charge.  Click on it to enlarge: -

nVidiaFault.jpg

You will need to contact Vaio Support on the out-of-warranty phoneline 0905 0310006 - if you have problems contacting them, come back here and we will try to find another way.

:wink:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi carnauth and welcome.

It sounds like you may have a faulty nVidia Graphics chip.

If you go to the Support Pages for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/vgn-fz21e

... and click on the link to "Distorted Video ......." which you will find under 'Hot News', you will see Sony's statement on this problem.

Is your Vaio less than 4 years old?

:thinking:

carnauth
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for your quick response! I've just tried to click on the link you mentioned but received a screen saying 'The website declined to show this webpage', when I clicked back I got the message 'Sorry but you do not have sufficient access privileges to reach this site'.

I bought my laptop at the end of December 2008, so it is almost 3 and a half years old. It came with a 2 year guarantee (bought at John Lewis), sadly now expired :slight_frown:

If it is a problem with the Graphics chip is this something which could be replaced? Looking at my product spec the chip is: nVidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi carnauth.

Here is what the Sony Statement says.  Basically, if your Vaio has this fault, is on the list provided and is less than 4 years old, Sony will fix it free of charge.  Click on it to enlarge: -

nVidiaFault.jpg

You will need to contact Vaio Support on the out-of-warranty phoneline 0905 0310006 - if you have problems contacting them, come back here and we will try to find another way.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have sent you a PM with some more information for you.

warriorfullight
Visitor

Is there a way that Sony team will come to your house to fix your laptop or you should really need to go to the near shop to do so?

carnauth
Visitor

So I've spoken to Sony and they will fix it but not for free (turns out it's a year older than I thought so actually is over 4 years old :smileysad:). I can take it to a repair shop but it's a bit of a trek and will cost £70 just for an inspection. The shop weren't able give me any idea how much it would cost to replace the graphics card, so I'm not sure whether it's worth taking it to them or if I should just try and buy a new graphics card online. Anyone know how much that would cost??